Mash schedule for a wheat beer?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Scotty

Mash schedule for a wheat beer?

Post by Scotty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 am

I've been reading around various forums and websites surrounding mash schedules for wheat beers. I've read that some do a straight-forward mash, others raise temperatures etc.

What have you done when mashing a wheat beer?

mysterio

Re: Mash schedule for a wheat beer?

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Single infusion, works great. The one time I tried an acid rest I didn't like the results.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:35 am

mysterio wrote:Single infusion, works great. The one time I tried an acid rest I didn't like the results.
Should I go for my usual 66c?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:37 am

Sounds about right, usual logic applies of mashing cooler if you want a light bodied wheat and higher if you want a thicker one. I like it somewhere in the middle so 66/67 is good.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am

Just a standard mash/sparge here.

I do my wits or light wiezens at 65-66 but i like dunkel quite sweet (e.g. Julius Echter DUnkel) so mash that at about 68.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:45 am

The standard German schedule is for a Ferrulic Acid rest at 40-45C (Which also helps break down the beta Glucans wheat is rich in, aiding lautering), followed by the saccharification rest at 64-66C.

It depends on how much 4VG you are after, and just how good your yeast is at producing it. . . fi you really like that spicy clovey nature to your wheat beers, it's a good idea to do the ferrulic acid rest.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am

I found the spicy/medicinal character to be over the top with the acid rest so be careful, if you have to do it keep it brief.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Aleman wrote:The standard German schedule is for a Ferrulic Acid rest at 40-45C (Which also helps break down the beta Glucans wheat is rich in, aiding lautering), followed by the saccharification rest at 64-66C.

It depends on how much 4VG you are after, and just how good your yeast is at producing it. . . fi you really like that spicy clovey nature to your wheat beers, it's a good idea to do the ferrulic acid rest.
If I were to go this route Aleman, would I mash in at 40-45c then add more liqour later to acquire the 'normal' mash temps? Excuse my ignorance but I've never done a wheat beer.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

](*,)

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

mysterio wrote:](*,)

haha indeed

Single step here, quicker easier and I dont detect any difference between that and adding the other step
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

awalker wrote:

haha indeed

Single step here, quicker easier and I dont detect any difference between that and adding the other step
Easy chaps, it's worth knowing about even if I plan on using a single step infusion.

clogwog
Piss Artist

Post by clogwog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 am

I've done both, single infusion, and also with an initial acid rest.

For me, the best result I ever had was with a single infusion at 65ºC. I'm not a real fan of the clove character. I fermented quite low with WY3068 at 17.5ºC, and it produced a beautifully balanced beer, with a hint of spice and banana, but all in balance.

These days, I'm all in favour of keeping my brewing simple.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:
awalker wrote:

haha indeed

Easy chaps, it's worth knowing about even if I plan on using a single step infusion.
I agree, in fact its worth knowing about it so you can try it both ways
Then you can see which gives you the taste you prefer
Always the ultimate decider on how to do the process next time
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer