What are you doing about temperature control?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spud395

Re: What are you doing about temperature control?

Post by Spud395 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 pm

symptomlesscoma wrote:Or you could just buy some liquid yeasts that can cope with/will benfit from warmer temps.
Thats what I'm doing over this spring/summer as I have no temp control.
just started brewing Belgians, got a few Wit/Weizens planned and when it gets really hot, Saisons.
Saisons can cope upto 35c according to Wyeast website and get raved about on here.
My problem is I brew/ferment in the shed, so it warm during the day cold at night.
Freezer/brewbelt/ATC800+ = fantastic results.
Kev888, planning 2 cupboards like yours (planning =P~ along with lots of other things that may take years :lol: )
One for fermenting/warm conditioning, second for cold conditioning.
I believe temp control is the most important area in producing consistintly good beer, once you got the basics sorted obviously :wink:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes, I seem to get more consistant attenuation which (rightly or wrongly) I put down to the temperature being stable, on top of having it at a particular temperature.

Haha; snap! I'm also thinking of a cold conditioning cupboard; it never ends! I'd like to combine it with a serving (keggorator-type) setup in the same cupboard - I'd be happy to condition and serve at the same temperature, say 12c - but not sure I really have room in the house to condition as well as serve.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 am

Here in Queensland it's dificult to brew without a fridge at any time of the year, even when it's an average of say 20 degrees outside, winter is usually dry and sunny so my brewhouse sits on around 24 degrees. In the summer it can get up to 35 degrees in the summer.

I do have a couple of recycled fridges on the go but recently bought a second one of these:

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3615

I already have one as a kegerator with a 3-tap font so I know they are good and reliable. I bought it just as the plain fridge with no tubing, fonts etc and I guess in pounds it would work out around 250 gbp. They are widely available in the USA and Australia, don't know if they have made inroads into the UK as yet.
Advantages are that they are good and "square", not tall and skinny like most kitchen fridges. They have an accurate temperature display and you key in your desired temperature via buttons on the front. I run mine on a Fridgemate temperature controller with a probe for fermenting, then for lagering I just run the fridge in its "native" mode and dial the temperature down to zero.
It fits a 60L FV plus a cornie keg. Or 3 cornies. Or two no chill "cubes" stacked on top of each other plus a cornie.......
It was a bit of a splurge but nothing at a regular electrical warehouse would come even close.

=D>

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I was fermenting in my bathroom near a radiator, until during one boring sunday and much to the amusement of the wife i set about noting down the temperaturs in several rooms every hour. I found out that my larder remains a consistent temperature all day and night.

In winter it never moves from 18c in there, to even now in this hotspell it remains at a steady 20c all day.

Latest brew is in there with a towel covering it to keep the light off and steady the temperature, it hasn't moved from 20c in 3 days.

Definately worth people without ferm temperature control testing house temperatures as part of a in house beer survey!

Only challenge is....I am begining to sense the mrs wants her lader back and the lovely beery smells to be gone, i keep telling her i can do this very easily....i just need budget approvel to buy a 2nd had fridge and some equipment :-)
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Wish I could offer some advice, but the basement needs warming no matter the season.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain