whats your top best 5 recipes

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
jonny8ball

Re: whats your top best 5 recipes

Post by jonny8ball » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:44 pm

hey troutman, ye that cider was a nightmare :shock: ,4-5 pints and your ready for bed,,,,, all gone now, thank god lol

urbanvet

Post by urbanvet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Despite nearly 50 AG brews under my belt, it annoys me my best brew was one I did early in the brewing career in which I threw pale and amber malt extract, dark spray malt and some sugar together with 100g black malt, challenger and fuggles in a pan on the stove to make a porter. Fermented with an old packet of muntons ale yeats from a burst kit. 18 months in bottle, amazing. Of the rest a 100% Vienna with saaz and a malty blonde with cascade have been the stand outs. My ambition is to brew a session bitter in the Yorkshire style that I really like. Not getting close at the moment.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 pm

jonny8ball wrote:hey troutman, ye that cider was a nightmare :shock: ,4-5 pints and your ready for bed,,,,, all gone now, thank god lol

What was your recipe jonny8ball?

Mine was Dreadskins recipe

20l AJ
8 Bramley Apples (mashed up)
3x500g jars of honey
Yeast Nutrient
Pectolase
Beer Yeast
8.1% ABV

Bloody superb!

Read that it was like Old Rosie but we think it's more like Rattler, nevertheless it's bloody good! =D> =D>

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 pm

One has to wonder that if Gregorach recipe's are a closly guadred secret why he bothered to add to this post.
I was under the impression we were all in this together. :!: :!:

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 pm

oldtimer wrote:One has to wonder that if Gregorach recipe's are a closly guadred secret why he bothered to add to this post.
It's called a sense of humour #-o
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi!

That Bishops farewell clone is a good drop!
)
My best Beers have been Oktoberfest (own recipe based on BJCP guidelines) My Kolsch (again based on guidelines using Tet my fav German Noble hop) and SunShine form Olosons web based book
:)

Those will get brewed again !
But I'm still learning & improving my process so I 'm sure there are plenty more beer to try first! lol
:)
Guy

8)

weiht

Post by weiht » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm

oldtimer wrote:One has to wonder that if Gregorach recipe's are a closly guadred secret why he bothered to add to this post.
truth be told, he still brews kits thats pre-hopped.. I bet his top 5 are a mix of muntons and coopers kits.. :)

critch

Post by critch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 am

weiht wrote:
truth be told, he still brews kits thats pre-hopped.. I bet his top 5 are a mix of muntons and coopers kits.. :)
:wall [-X :lol:

right, ive got popcorn, who wants to join me on the comfy settee?

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

I will only join you on the sette if we can have one of gregoch recipe's.

Are the popcorn toffe flavour ?????

jonny8ball

Post by jonny8ball » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Troutman47 wrote:
jonny8ball wrote:hey troutman, ye that cider was a nightmare :shock: ,4-5 pints and your ready for bed,,,,, all gone now, thank god lol

What was your recipe jonny8ball?

Mine was Dreadskins recipe

20l AJ
8 Bramley Apples (mashed up)
3x500g jars of honey
Yeast Nutrient
Pectolase
Beer Yeast
8.1% ABV

Bloody superb!

Read that it was like Old Rosie but we think it's more like Rattler, nevertheless it's bloody good! =D> =D>
mine was no recipe m8,,all the same apples from a local tree and that was it.
just an experiment really :roll: ,ferm`d with a wine yeast,ended up very dry so added sweetner to the corney and it was great.

im doing it again at the end of this year from the same tree but gona blend some other kinda apples in with it,,ill read up on it when it gets closer to harvest...going to try a beer yeast this time so i dont after add the sweetner

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Black sheep best bitter, I made it a touch sweeter and it was nicer than what they sell (to me atleast). Made a few good ales, with a mate of mine saying. "Being honest mate your a bit of a c**t really, you make your own beer and its mint, you cook food and thats mint, your mrs is mint, there just no competing", I was happy with that because he doesn't dish out many compliments usually.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:57 pm

darkonnis wrote: Made a few good ales, with a mate of mine saying. "Being honest mate your a bit of a c**t really, you make your own beer and its mint, you cook food and thats mint, your mrs is mint, there just no competing", I was happy with that because he doesn't dish out many compliments usually.
That's a moment when you lean back in your chair, put a cigar between your teeth, hands behind your head and go "yeah" with a slight nod of the head! :lol:

Satisfyingly smug!! :lol: :lol:

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I forget who but someone here posted one called bombay IPA which i tried with both my own and the original malt bill and the original is quite close to Jaipur. Not my personal fav in terms of taste as I am not a massive Jaipur fan but in terms of replication that was a good one.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:06 pm

DerbyshireNick wrote:I forget who but someone here posted one called bombay IPA which i tried with both my own and the original malt bill and the original is quite close to Jaipur. Not my personal fav in terms of taste as I am not a massive Jaipur fan but in terms of replication that was a good one.
It was scarer. Recipe here :)

Cheers Tom

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Troutman47 wrote:
darkonnis wrote: Made a few good ales, with a mate of mine saying. "Being honest mate your a bit of a c**t really, you make your own beer and its mint, you cook food and thats mint, your mrs is mint, there just no competing", I was happy with that because he doesn't dish out many compliments usually.
That's a moment when you lean back in your chair, put a cigar between your teeth, hands behind your head and go "yeah" with a slight nod of the head! :lol:

Satisfyingly smug!! :lol: :lol:
Proper grin moment indeed :D

I'm thinking of this as my next one:
Batch Size (L): 23.0 Total Grain (kg): 7.900 Total Hops (g): 230.00 Original Gravity (OG): 1.076 (°P): 18.4 Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8 Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.47 % Colour (SRM): 8.2 (EBC): 16.1 Bitterness (IBU): 77.8 (Average) Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70 Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill----------------
7.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (88.61%)
0.400 kg Crystal 10 (5.06%)
0.200 kg Flaked Wheat (2.53%)
0.200 kg Torrified Wheat (2.53%)
0.100 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (1.27%)
Hop Bill----------------
40.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
50.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (2.2 g/L)
40.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
100.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (4.3 g/L)
Misc Bill----------------
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes. Fermented at 20°C with - Not a clue yet, Either a high attenuating/flocculating yeast, might even see if i can persuade Dunc to give me a hint as to a yeast to compliment this beasty