should i fine it

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dazer23866
Piss Artist

should i fine it

Post by dazer23866 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 pm

i have a beer ready for Christmas but the problem is it is seriously cloudy i cant even see my hand through the other side, it taste great and normally i would not mind it cloudy but its going to be drunk by the rest of my family, i have isinglass that i have not used before ( not sure how to mix it any suggestions on that would be good ) i am thinking add this to the corny for a couple of days and then siphon to another corny after that, does this sound ok or would anyone do it different

Rick_UK

Re: should i fine it

Post by Rick_UK » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Never used Cornies, but commercial breweries add isinglass when they cask their ale so I can't see why you couldn't just add it and reseal the cornie, possibly re-pressurise and bleed off some air to keep a blanket of CO2 over the beer to prevent it oxidising.

I have an xmas ale that is taking it's time to clear in a plastic keg, so just opened it and added gelatin, seems to be working fine a few days later and much clearer - fortunately it is nearly full to the brim so not much room for air to oxidise it. I will be injecting CO2 also once its finished conditioning.

If all else fails just tell them it's a wheat beer!

Rick

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:06 pm

thanks for your reply, but the problem is i think i put it in the corny to soon it was only on day 7 so i think it has a thick layer of yeast on the bottom because i just undone the lid and scooped a glass off the top and its crystal clear so i am just going to siphon into another corny

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Fining will pull your beer bright in 24-48 hours if the problem is suspended yeast. It won't sort anything else out.

However, working with finings is not the easiest thing to do. It's difficult to get isinglass into a proper solution, and ready made isinglass tends to be ineffective due to improper storage.

Brupaks Isinglass paste, cut with citric acid and made up using an electric blender is superb, especially when used with auxilliary finings.

If you're anywhere near me I'll willingly come round and fine the beer for you.

Guy

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 am

Fining will pull your beer bright in 24-48 hours if the problem is suspended yeast. It won't sort anything else out.

However, working with finings is not the easiest thing to do. It's difficult to get isinglass into a proper solution, and ready made isinglass tends to be ineffective due to improper storage.

Brupaks Isinglass paste, cut with citric acid and made up using an electric blender is superb, especially when used with auxilliary finings.

If you're anywhere near me I'll willingly come round and fine the beer for you.
Thanks for the offer but i have done it, imixed the isinglass it seemed to dissolve ok, i left it over night and the next day it was like runny wallpaper paste i put about 50mls in and i am going to leave for 24 hours then transfer to another corny by siphon

critch

Post by critch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:04 pm

dont forget too much isinglas is worse than none at all.......

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

critch wrote:dont forget too much isinglas is worse than none at all.......
Thats why I have always gone for the none at all approach.

I will be making a pilsner shortly ready for a garden party next year, and think I may need to fine that prior to carbing up and bottling, as I'm sure the masses will prefer crystal clear beer. It will be the first time I have ever used finings though so am a bit wary.