reeeeaaaallllllyyyy slooowwwwww US-04

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chivelegs

reeeeaaaallllllyyyy slooowwwwww US-04

Post by chivelegs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Got a motueka IPA on the go at the moment and it seems to be taking forever (relatively) to finish.Usually my brews are down to roughly FG in a week, then a couple of weeks conditioning in a Betta Bottle before bottling. This has still got a healthy krausen after 2 weeks and is only down to 1014, so a few points to go. Obviously I'm going to have to wait an extra week or two (only do brew stuff at weekends) but I used a healthy proportion of caramalt in this one, anyone had any similar experiences with caramalt?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: reeeeaaaallllllyyyy slooowwwwww US-04

Post by Rookie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm

chivelegs wrote:Got a motueka IPA on the go at the moment and it seems to be taking forever (relatively) to finish.Usually my brews are down to roughly FG in a week, then a couple of weeks conditioning in a Betta Bottle before bottling. This has still got a healthy krausen after 2 weeks and is only down to 1014, so a few points to go. Obviously I'm going to have to wait an extra week or two (only do brew stuff at weekends) but I used a healthy proportion of caramalt in this one, anyone had any similar experiences with caramalt?

What was your OG? At what temperature are you fermenting? You may be done, I've had times when I didn't get the expected FG, but the beer was still done.
I'm just here for the beer.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Quick question

Are you using US-05 or S-04, 2 very different yeasts that behave very differently.

S-04 will usually get things over and done with quite quickly, but US-05 can often take a lot longer, and seems to have a Krausen on it forever. The only way to drop it out is to force chill it.

You mentioned it is down to 1.014, where did it start. For a good IPA I would imagine something like 1.060 would be a good starting point so 1.014 is about right.

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 am

Sorry, it was us-05 not 04. OG of 1059 with about 23% caramalt. Usually all krausen business has stopped after a week, but this still has a decent little foam on top and blew out the airlock on the betta bottle. guess the water bath and fish tank heater doesn't work as well at these low temps, but it's never been this slow before.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 am

Steve spotted it.
but US-05 can often take a lot longer, and seems to have a Krausen on it forever.
For a good IPA I would imagine something like 1.060 would be a good starting point so 1.014 is about right.
US-05 will take a while to clear as well.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Texy
Steady Drinker

Post by Texy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

chivelegs wrote:Sorry, it was us-05 not 04. OG of 1059 with about 23% caramalt. Usually all krausen business has stopped after a week, but this still has a decent little foam on top and blew out the airlock on the betta bottle. guess the water bath and fish tank heater doesn't work as well at these low temps, but it's never been this slow before.
I have just used a water bath (large flexible bucket via amazon at just over a fiver delivered -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... 00_details) and an aquaruim heater for the first time also. I also had a slow starter, but it was in a very cold room. The 50watt heater wasn't up to it.
What rating heater are you using, out of interest?

Texy
Drinking : AG#1 Ridley's IPA - only 1 bottle left.
Drinking : AG#2 Grahame Wheelers Fullers ESB - plenty left.
Drinking : AG#3 Grahame Wheelers Marstons Pedigree - improving with age
Drinking : AG#4 TT Landlord - my best brew yet, only a few bottles left
In the FV : Ringwood XXXX Porter
Planning - another go at Ridley's probably

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm

"with about 23% caramalt."

Anyone else think that might be the issue?

I've never used more than 10% speciality malts in any of my beers, and i'm sure i've read that you shouldn't use more than that, with the exception of some like Munich and Vienna etc which can be used in large quantities.

I'd be concerned that high 23% has left a lot of non fermentable residual sugar that won't get eaten up by the yeast, probably leaving you with a very sweet cloying beer.

There is a good chance i'm totally wrong! But that would be my concern. I've never had any issues between SO4 and US05.

Have you used caramalt in such high quantities before? Is this a recipe you are following that calls for that much?

Ed
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Guess it was just a bit colder than usual. Ended up at just over 1010 for a FG. I use a 50w heater in a big water bath, but quite a bit of the fermenter sticks out the top so that may have been slowing it down. Ended up bunging a sleeping bag over the top as extra insulation.
First taste after just 10 days in the bottle and it's pretty damn good. Needs a week or so more, but no over-sweetness at all. Was inspired by a chat with the Kernel Brewery guys who use a lot of caramalt to balance out the huge amount of hops they use in their pales. Maybe not as much as a quarter like mine, but I was trying it out and thought I'd give it a bash.