Hop and Grain supplies

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Reaper

Hop and Grain supplies

Post by Reaper » Fri May 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi all
My local homebrew shop closed down some time ago. I get fed up of travelling 20 miles for my brewing sundries. For all of you out there like me, not having the luxury of living next door a homebrew shop I have started my own online hops and grain supplies. Quality ingredients and value for money delivered to your door, quickly and conveniently.
http://www.barleybottom.com

Regards Paul
Last edited by Reaper on Sun May 20, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Fri May 18, 2007 5:29 pm

Excellent stuff & a nice site too. Best of luck.
I'm strongly of the belief that as well as the availability of good quality ingredients (and a bad rep' from the 80's) the main reason homebrewing isn't more popular is the lack of information. I've been thinking about advertising locally and doing some brewing work-shops at a local sports club or similar venue
i.e.
"how to brew beer"
"all-grain brewing for beginners"

Along with involving CAMRA members you'd get a great reception of customers I'm sure.

Frothy
Last edited by Frothy on Fri May 18, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnybeer
Piss Artist

Post by jonnybeer » Fri May 18, 2007 5:30 pm

I have bought from this person, seriously good alround guy. Excellent prices for top quality ingreadiants and a pleasure to deal with. ( sounds like Ebay feedback) Good luck Paul. John.

oblivious

Re: Hop and Grain supplies

Post by oblivious » Fri May 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Reaper wrote:Hi all
My local homebrew shop closed down some time ago. I get fed up of travelling 20 miles for my brewing sundries. For all of you out there like me, not having the luxury of living next door a homebrew shop I have started my own online hops and grain supplies. Quality ingredients and value for money delivered to your door, quickly and conveniently. www.barleybottom.com

Regards Paul

Hope it goes well for you, 90p per Kg for Maris Otter pale malt that’s good value, can you deliver to Ireland and how much would it cost? At those prices I think some people over here would be interest

Ps there is one small typo with the crystal malt, “Can be added direct to the boil or mashedâ€
Last edited by oblivious on Fri May 18, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri May 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Good luck with your venture reaper, i must say the price on the hops seems very attractive, i could see myself putting in a few orders, unfortunately im across the water in Belfast so grain is probably out because of shipping.

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 pm

hi
The cost of shipping the grain in the post is expensive, not sure what it would cost to sent it over the water.
I was told you could add crystal malt in the boil, ive done this many time with no problems when i used to do extract brews.

regards Paul

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Transport is definitely not cheep, but my local HBS charges 8.95 euro for 3Kg of grain, that 6.1 Stg compared to your 1.80 for the same amount. :shock:

retourrbx

Post by retourrbx » Fri May 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Good work - small typo

Crushed Mazie
Flaked Maize will provide depth of character to lighter beers and gives a delicate corn flavor.

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Fri May 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Yep, well spotted, thanks, I ordered flaked mazie when i got home and opened the sack it was crushed mazie.

Calum

Post by Calum » Fri May 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Great prices for the hops Reaper. I'll be in touch for some Fuggles. I'm assuming that if this becomes popular you would consider some other varieties aswell?

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Fri May 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi Calum
If you would like any other varieties please let me know and I will try and get a batch with my next order. Im open to suggestions.
regards Paul

Calum

Post by Calum » Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Cheers Reaper, I'll keep that in mind. I really like what you are doing and I'm sure you are going to be rushed off your feet. I've already passed your web url to some brewers who I know do not use JBK.

I've sent a mail for a price for some fuggles for now.

subsub

Post by subsub » Sat May 19, 2007 1:27 am

Good prices on the hops, I'll be in touch come payday :D

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sat May 19, 2007 11:55 pm

oblivious wrote:Transport is definitely not cheep, but my local HBS charges 8.95 euro for 3Kg of grain, that 6.1 Stg compared to your 1.80 for the same amount. :shock:
Is there no Maltsters anywhere near you i buy all my grain from Maltsters & save a fortune

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat May 19, 2007 11:57 pm

Rab, what do you pay, if you don't mind me asking :?: