Hop and Grain supplies

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Re: Hop and Grain supplies

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:53 pm

richtangsoo wrote:they charge £66 uncrushed and £55 crushed! work that one out. ](*,)
Maybe the crushed is old and damp? :=P
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

richtangsoo

Post by richtangsoo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Good point! :wink:

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 pm

re:
http://www.tuckersmaltings.co.uk/

The malt I know is crushed on request not sitting around in bags. :)

richtangsoo

Post by richtangsoo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 am

Had a look at them, i'll be paying a visit to them next time i'm in the area. The bottled beer shop is superb to. I went in their years ago before i started brewing.

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:51 pm

I get my malt from my local microbrewery. 25KG of Otter for £25 which seems more than fair to me, I get it cheaper than I can find elsewhere and they make a few quid. Normally also get to try their new ales which is always a nice bonus. May try and tap him up for some hops on my next visit.

The malt itself is from Warminster Maltings - http://www.warminster-malt.co.uk/ . They do a homebrew section, 25KG for £28.50 is good value if you can collect as their P&P charges are around £17.

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Placed an order for a sack of pale malt with Paul@BB today. Like the new site, very streamlied and no hassles.

Cheers

P.

mac

Post by mac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:53 am

The cheapest places I've found at the moment, are Tucker maltings - £35.00 delivered and Warminster Malt Co - £35.50 delivered. Cheapest hops at the moment , by far, for 200g (yes 200g) vac packed, Fuggles £4.27, Challenger £4.02, Northdown £3.77. I bought 4 packs last time and the postage was £2.50.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:08 pm

mac wrote:The cheapest places I've found at the moment, are Tucker maltings - £35.00 delivered and Warminster Malt Co - £35.50 delivered. Cheapest hops at the moment , by far, for 200g (yes 200g) vac packed, Fuggles £4.27, Challenger £4.02, Northdown £3.77. I bought 4 packs last time and the postage was £2.50.
Mac where did you get your hops from?

mac

Post by mac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:40 am

garwatts wrote: Mac where did you get your hops from?
http://www.eirehops.com He's on ebay too, selling 200g packs of pellets for 1 euro, but the postage is too high. Try the web site Gar.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:31 pm

mac wrote:
garwatts wrote: Mac where did you get your hops from?
http://www.eirehops.com He's on ebay too, selling 200g packs of pellets for 1 euro, but the postage is too high. Try the web site Gar.
Cheers Mac
Interestingly had price list/p&p info via email from eirehops but it certainly appears to be much cheaper to buy from him on-line :?

mick

Post by mick » Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Just received first order from Paul at Barley Bottom :D .
Top quality, cheap, well packed and great service, nice one =D>

sim

Post by sim » Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm with Mick (and others).
First order from Paul @ barley bottom arrived today.
Very helpful guy and a perfect service =D> :beer:

confused

Post by confused » Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 pm

my first order from Grimsby Homebrew Centre arrived the other day, very impressed.

enough for 8 cornies, including a sack of pale ale malt, 7 speciality malts, 4 types of hops, yeast and protfloc delivered for around £68. All well packed and arrived in two days.

=D> =D> =D>

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Fri May 08, 2009 4:01 pm

http://www.warminster-malt.co.uk/ are a pleasure to deal with in person.

25KG of crushed MO pale for £28.50

another nice mess

Post by another nice mess » Mon May 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Brewbaby wrote:I get my malts from Brewuk, they supply Warminster maltings grains 25kg crushed MO for £31.99 + £5.65 delivery and they send them out 24 service so you get them really quickly. They are always really fresh and they do have a good range for hops and yeasts.

There delivery is for upto 30kg so you can get a few other bits without having to pay a second delivery charge, I haven't found cheaper on the net but let me know if you have as this seems like a really good deal.
I can vouch for these people too, excellent prices and quick delivery. They told me that they were going to start selling hops in smaller quantities soon - it's always grieved me that you have to buy too many hops and have to waste them.