london pride which version would you do ( confused )

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dazer23866
Piss Artist

london pride which version would you do ( confused )

Post by dazer23866 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 pm

OG 1048
IBUs 40
SRM 9

4.67kg Marris Otter 95%
250g Simpson's Dark Crystal(approx. 70lov.)

20g Target 11%AA at 60m
18g Challenger 7.5%AA at 3m
18g Northdown 8.5%AA at 3m
6g Goldings 4.75%AA at 3m

WLP002

or

the one from Graham wheelers book
the first version has late hopping the later early and dry hopping

gnutz2

Re: london pride which version would you do ( confused )

Post by gnutz2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Whenever i have done a beer with 95% MO it comes out quite thin with no body or head retention (even if the 5% is torri wheat), the yeast may get the body back though, whats the mash temp?

What are the hopping schedules for the two beers?

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 pm

i think the top one from the jamil show can you brew it is mashed at 65, (and having listen to an interveiw with the fullers brewer this seems to be correct and all so they tend not to dry hop ) and the bottom one from BYOBRA is mashed at 67, hopping times are there, its just one version is hoped quite late for aroma and the other is hopped early for bittering with the same hops if that makes any sense.
i am leaning towards the top clone because i can taste late hopping in london pride but not to much.
These surley will come out two different beers

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Well i would opt for the late hopped version with the higher mash temp.....

and maybe add some carapils and a bit of crystal and lots more hops like cascade and double dry hop it....

thats a diferent beer though :D

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 am

Stick with GW Recipe, you won't be far wrong.
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

brian_beer

Post by brian_beer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm

FWIW, I recently did a different version based on one from the byo site - it's tacked onto an interview with the Fullers brewing director and supposedly been "reviewed" by him.

No dry hops, and the later hops at 15 rather than 3mins, but similar to your recipe above really. Can't comment on the finished product as its in the FV still.

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/a ... -of-london

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm

FWIW, I recently did a different version based on one from the byo site - it's tacked onto an interview with the Fullers brewing director and supposedly been "reviewed" by him.

No dry hops, and the later hops at 15 rather than 3mins, but similar to your recipe above really. Can't comment on the finished product as its in the FV still.
the very same interview i had listened to i think i am going with the first rather than the GW one it seems to make more sense #-o :lol: [-o<

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

There are some inconsistencies between the Interview and recipe's.
The Fullers head brewer says 95% Pale Malt and 5% Crystal. The BYO Recipe's given say 90% Pale and 10% Crystal.
You may have to try a few experiments to find which suites you Sir.
Me I’m diplomatic, I use 7.5% crystal.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

weiht

Post by weiht » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 pm

The recipe from jamil cybi is spot on, since its given by the brewer on record. The most important thing however is to understand that the brewer's recipe is for a partigyle brew, and london pride itself is a blend between a few different runnings of wort. I believe there is a comment that if you are doing a single mash batch then it better to shoot somewhere 7-10% for crystal malt.

I would mash high simply because the fullers yeast is not a strong attenuative strain, so stick to the 64c that the brewery use for your beer to finish out otherwise it wld be understrength. 67c mash may only get you 65% attenuation at max and may struggle towards the end in my experience.

GW's recipe may be good, but if you want an accurate one then its gg to be the one from the brewer.

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

The recipe from jamil cybi is spot on, since its given by the brewer on record. The most important thing however is to understand that the brewer's recipe is for a partigyle brew, and london pride itself is a blend between a few different runnings of wort. I believe there is a comment that if you are doing a single mash batch then it better to shoot somewhere 7-10% for crystal malt.

I would mash high simply because the fullers yeast is not a strong attenuative strain, so stick to the 64c that the brewery use for your beer to finish out otherwise it wld be understrength. 67c mash may only get you 65% attenuation at max and may struggle towards the end in my experience.

GW's recipe may be good, but if you want an accurate one then its gg to be the one from the brewer

Thanks for that i will give it a go this weekend, i have the yeast stepping up as i speak, i will report back on how it turns out may even post a brew day on the forum.