Conditioning Bottles

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Froggit

Conditioning Bottles

Post by Froggit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

This may sound like a stupid question but is there any issues to conditioning bottles laying down.

It suits me to lay the bottles down in my main fridge with my plans to then move them to my beer fridge for a few days before consumption.

What didnt cross my mind was will the yeast that has settled on the side of the bottle move to the bottom after a couple of days or will it sit there on the side probably to be disturbed when poured!

graemet
Piss Artist

Re: Conditioning Bottles

Post by graemet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 pm

In my experience it will slide down to the bottom soon after being put upright
Fermenting: Russian Imperial Stout experiment, Raspberry turbo cider, Wilko Rose wine, Plum wine

Keg1: Coopers Euro Lager

Keg2: Empty :(

Keg3: Empty :(

Keg4: Empty :(

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 pm

I guess it would depend on which yeast you used (as some stick like shit to a blanket) and how vigorously you jostle them when you relocate to upright.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:33 pm

One point to consider is the air gap at the top of the bottle. While it is upright the surfice area of the beer that is in contact with the air is very small, however when the bottle is on its side the surfice area is greatly increased and so is the chance of oxidation.

My guess is that the chances of oxidation would be greatly readuced after the bottle conditioning has finished as the yeast will consume some of the oxigen to reproduce and a layer of C02 will be created in its place. I would however still keep it upright to be safe.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

We worry to much! Try a few and if you are unhappy with the results send them to me for disposal
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

If you have ever accidentally left a box of beer upside down.... you will find the yeast sticks to the cap when it is then righted. If that is because the yeast have then come out of the beer I don't know. I would have thought a smaller area for gaseous exchange to liquid would be better anyway.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm with Trucker. Try it on some and if it works great and if it doesn't don't do it again.

Froggit

Post by Froggit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Hmm i will see how things go, i can always buy some cheap shelving if the worst comes to the worst, just laying in trays seemed easy.

Thanks for your input guys!