Hydrometer Reading Woes

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Rick_UK

Hydrometer Reading Woes

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi All

I've been checking the FG of my Fullers Porter clone and each reading differs from the last by up to 6 points. The highest being 1020 and the lowest 1014 9which is the target FG). The problem seems to be that the hydrometer is intent on touching the side of the sample jar no matter how hard I try to prevent it, so there is always some friction / resistance caused which is distorting the reading.

Has anyone had similar issues? I'm reluctant to use a bigger trial jar which would waste more beer!

Rick

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Hydrometer Reading Woes

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I had the same problem caused by my trial jar. It actually has a bottom (stand) that can be removed, the problem is you need to have the thing perfectly perpendicular. If yours doesn't have the removable base just make sure that the surface is completely flat, otherwise hold it until the hydrometer moves away from the side.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Put the hydrometer in the FV :D
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Just a little trick I have used in the past.....spin the hydro and take the reading while it's still moving.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 pm

thanks chaps. Trust me I've tried getting the surface level and moving it about very carefully but it always settles with one side touching the jar.

I used to lob it in the FV but found I was getting much higher readings due to the higher density at the top of the FV due to all the floaty bits being there.

The spinning thing sounds worth a go though.

critch

Post by critch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Beer O'Clock wrote:Just a little trick I have used in the past.....spin the hydro and take the reading while it's still moving.

damn good advice! do this meself , also it takes off the bubbles that form on the side and give a false reading!

jat147

Post by jat147 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:39 pm

The Mrs says I never touch the sides ..... Think she might mean something else tho?