Storing Bulk Open Dry Yeast

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
alwilson

Storing Bulk Open Dry Yeast

Post by alwilson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi guys,

I want to save on yeast costs and see murphys flog it at £25 for for 500g of notts/windsor my only thing is how do i store the remaining yeast? Can i simply tupperwear it and freeze?

Cheers
Alex

danbrew

Re: Storing Bulk Open Dry Yeast

Post by danbrew » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm

I would say so yes, but it would be cheaper and more cost effective to split them in liquid form (from a couple of 11g sachets) and store them in sealed containers in the fridge. Even reconstituting from bottles is an option....

I reckon the continuous opening and closing of the lid and subsequent condensation given the temp of the dried yeast being stored in the freezer will limit it's life span, though it depends on how much you use each brew and how quick you'll get through a tub... If you split the dried yeast down into vacuum packed sachets then you'd get some good shelf life...

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 am

I'd buy some little plasti-lock bags that buttons and the like come in, and just split it down into them as soon as you open it. then get em frozen, no problem at all :)

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:01 am

I dont think dry yeast likes to be Frozen. Keep it in a fridge but dont freeze it.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

alwilson

Post by alwilson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 am

I've always frozen my 11g sachets for the last couple years. Not had a problem. (yet!)

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 am

I have a tub of Youngs multi purpose dried yeast for wine and beer. I don't use it in my beers routinely, but use it for experiments with "wine" T.C. and the like. It is at least 3 years since I first opened it and it works fine. It's been sat in a tupper ware type container in the fridge and moved house twice!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am

Like danbrew my main concern would be the build up of condensation in the storage container over time. The 11g packs are probably packed in a moisture controlled environment so are less likely to have this problem.

liquidman

Post by liquidman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm

You could always bung a couple of those dessicant packs you get when you buy leather good in the tupperware box with the yeast (just remember not to add them to your brew!) to help keep the moisture levels down.

A

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 am

I've kept 500g in an opened bag in the freezer and used it over a year - no problem at all.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 am

I've gone back to sachets as in my experience I find that after a while the attenuation starts to drop off. ie instead of reaching a FG of 1.010 it only gets down to 1.016.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am

You probably need to pitch a little extra, to make sure you have enough viability.

alwilson

Post by alwilson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Guys,

Can i break this 500g bag down inoto 55g 'drug bags' (i usually use 5 sachets in a brew).

If i do, do i need to sanitize the 'drug bag' first? That will be a pain!

Cheers

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm

I know from baking bread that yeast stores well frozen but requires higher quantities to yield the same results after freezing. I know it's a different process but yeast is yeast so if splitting down maybe up the quanities slightly to account for less viable yeast cells.

eclipse

Post by eclipse » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:52 pm

I bought a 500g bag of nottingham danstar and decided it's not the stuff for me. It's yours for £15 plus delivery if you want it.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:43 pm

garwatts wrote:I've gone back to sachets as in my experience I find that after a while the attenuation starts to drop off. ie instead of reaching a FG of 1.010 it only gets down to 1.016.

You could then use it for beer styles that are better with a higher F G.
I'm just here for the beer.