Good advice for all AG brewers

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Mitchamitri1

Good advice for all AG brewers

Post by Mitchamitri1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

Next time you brew on a Friday don't leave it till nearly a week later before you go back into the garage and realise - by smell alone - you forgot to empty the mash tun.

11 kilos of stinking horrible malt - bleeeeuuugrggghhhhhH!

gregorach
Under the Table

Re: Good advice for all AG brewers

Post by gregorach » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am

Ewwww!

Personally, I always clean the MT during the boil.
Cheers

Dunc

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

I'm not that keen, but definitely straight after the session.
Best wishes

Dave

Deller12

Post by Deller12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Clean when boiling nothing else to do for a hour and half #-o :bonk

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm

gregorach wrote:Ewwww!

Personally, I always clean the MT during the boil.
+1

Met too what else is there to do if you FV is clean & sanitised ?
:lol:

I did leave it until later the evening once, just the once...

lo

Guy

8)l

Mitchamitri1

Post by Mitchamitri1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 pm

What else was there to do? Play cricket in the garden with the mates I had over, spend time with our kids, drink! Normally I empty it out late in the evening.

Has made me think though that beer making has become almost as sociable as cider making in our house - "What you doing at the weekend?" "Having a brewday" "Oh we'll come round, spark up the bbq". Its become kind of a background activity that frames other things - makes it very easy to balance with wifely and child time.

Interesting note though - when I washed it out with hot water just now theres a very strong ammonia smell.

Mitchamitri1

Post by Mitchamitri1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Just in case I am mistaken for being too organsied the beer is coming along lovely - I have two fvs sitting in the dining room with a blanket over them. The cat is comfy as anything.

"Effinaich" ("F n H" - Faith and Hope)

10100 mo
600 brown malt
60 Amber malt

58 g pilgrim for 90
25 g ekg for 15

Lime Corridor

Post by Lime Corridor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm

58 g pilgrim for 90
25 g ekg for 15

Love Pilgrim, good versatile hop, you should try it as an aroma/flavour hop too. It won’t disappoint.

For the record, I clean my mashtun using the piping hot water that comes out of the wort chiller.

LC

jimmiec

Post by jimmiec » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Definitely no need to waste the water coming out of the immersion chiller. My water bill is already to high. Most of the time I can at least dump the grains in the compost and get the mash tun soaking in PBW. However, normally to busy drinking and getting beers out for people to try to be able to actually clean.

Mitchamitri1

Post by Mitchamitri1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Since I went to 80+ pint batches I must admit I havent bothered with wort chillin (primarily as I havent got round to making a new chiller). Not had any problems. Yet.

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Mitchamitri1 wrote:Next time you brew on a Friday don't leave it till nearly a week later before you go back into the garage and realise - by smell alone - you forgot to empty the mash tun.

11 kilos of stinking horrible malt - bleeeeuuugrggghhhhhH!
Hahahahaha, oh my...same as the other guys i always try and clean as i go........ saves all the time at the end...lol...

I bet it stunk well bad...lol....in a nice beer way....lol.....should of added some hops.....Hmmm,...Summit me thinks...lol hahahaha....

Nice story buddy, good luck my friend, bet you dont forget that next time...lol

Louis :-))

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Lime Corridor wrote:
58 g pilgrim for 90
25 g ekg for 15

Love Pilgrim, good versatile hop, you should try it as an aroma/flavour hop too. It won’t disappoint.

For the record, I clean my mashtun using the piping hot water that comes out of the wort chiller.

LC
Hi, i was wondring was Pilgrim taste like.......I've just dry hopped with 50g of Summit and Jesus...wow....its amazing.........would you say Pilgrims better.....fruitier, Grassy....??

Louis

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Harry would be really miffed if I left his dinner festering in the mash tun. It's usually still warm when I serve it to him :D
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:44 pm

More good advice: don't start cleaning the mash tun before the wort has reached boiling and the boil is stable...

Otherwise, you'll shortly be cleaning up a boil-over. :oops:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 am

Dr. Dextrin wrote:More good advice: don't start cleaning the mash tun before the wort has reached boiling and the boil is stable...

Otherwise, you'll shortly be cleaning up a boil-over. :oops:
+1 indeed!!!

By accident and not design i discovered after spilling my spent grain on the lawn and spreading it about a bit the grass n worms love it, within a few days that area of lawn was covered in wormcasts i initially mistook for dog eggs, within a week that area of grass was 1/2 inch taller than the rest of the lawn..

Dont spread spent hops over the lawn tho...... after doing this last brew i have some grass which is only now loosing its yellow..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(