Institute of Brewing and Distilling

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
musojohn

Institute of Brewing and Distilling

Post by musojohn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:12 pm

There have not been any comments on here for a while about the above.

Has anyone done the General certificate or any of the other exams http://www.ibd.org.uk/qualifications/examinations/gcb/
and how did they find it.
I am thinking about doing it as a more structured way of gaining knowledge and something to work towards

Any advice ?

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Institute of Brewing and Distilling

Post by Eadweard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

I've entered two of my brewers for the GCB, one passed it last year and the other, who posts here, has the exam in November (I think). When you enter for the exam you get revision notes for 20 modules emailed to you and the exam itself is a single multi-choice paper.

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 am

Ive been looking at this for a while too, all for the purpose of gaining knowledge and having it as a first step as such. I understand you have to be a member of IBD to the apply for the examination. Also if I understand correctly it's now a completely online course? I'm tempted as I could study the material during the down time I get working nights... Plus I need something to get my brain working again.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:10 am

I've been looking into the brewlab courses, the 10 week course gives you a diploma and then your entitled to take the IBD certificate once you pass. But the cost is just to much £8500 :shock:
If your only looking to improve your knowledge and have something to work towards why not have a look at doing the BJCP course.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 pm

You don't have to be an IBD member to do the GCB, there isn't actually a course though, you'd have to look into that yourself. The IBD just send you some comprehensive revision notes and run the exam.

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Ah I see what they mean now. to have access to their resources and take the exam provided through them you must be a member. I hadn't thought to look at doing it anywhere else. I had also looked at the brewlabs courses, but just not in a position to afford those atm!

musojohn

Post by musojohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 am

Eadweard wrote:I've entered two of my brewers for the GCB, one passed it last year and the other, who posts here, has the exam in November (I think). When you enter for the exam you get revision notes for 20 modules emailed to you and the exam itself is a single multi-choice paper.
Eadweard - I have seen some papers -20+ pages - online like the 'Blue Yeast book' is this the kind of thing they were sent or was it more succinct version ?
Did you - or they - think there was enough to pass in those notes ?
Also there is a list of tutors on their site, who all seem to be professors from places like Heriot or independent consultants. Did they use anyone or just crack one?
alix101 wrote:I've been looking into the brewlab courses, the 10 week course gives you a diploma and then your entitled to take the IBD certificate once you pass. But the cost is just to much £8500 :shock:
If your only looking to improve your knowledge and have something to work towards why not have a look at doing the BJCP course.

Alix101 i think if i was going to bin my job and start afresh this might appeal to employers (?!) but it's too pricey... and i'm not.
Also, you can just sign up for the IBD exam and get going and you'll have an industry recogonised qualification.
I was hoping of getting some work experience in brewerys, possibly leading on to part time assistant brewer role as i currently work 12 hour shifts and have lots of time off !! :!:

musojohn

Post by musojohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 am

Cazamodo wrote:Ah I see what they mean now. to have access to their resources and take the exam provided through them you must be a member. I hadn't thought to look at doing it anywhere else. I had also looked at the brewlabs courses, but just not in a position to afford those atm!
It isn't the best site to be fair and seems a bit jumbled, but the Gen Certifcate is self taught and you take the exam online....i think. Though if you go to Heriot of another brewery you'd sit this at some point whilst there.

http://www.ibd.org.uk/qualifications/ex ... nformation

Click on the above link go to the bottom of the page to see 4 example questions from their exam for a bit of fun. .... (Got the 1st =D> , guessed the second and 3rd . 4th was well beyond me. Questions about packaging in cans...anyone... :? )

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm

musojohn wrote:
Eadweard wrote:Eadweard - I have seen some papers -20+ pages - online like the 'Blue Yeast book' is this the kind of thing they were sent or was it more succinct version ?
Did you - or they - think there was enough to pass in those notes ?
No, it's notes on 20 modules that I guess fit in with the sylabus. The blue book, excellent though it is, is something else entirely.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm

as you prob saw via twitter, I'm studying the revision notes as we speak, I'm finding them quite interesting. I shall ve taking the GCB exam in November.

Brew-school
Tippler

Post by Brew-school » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi, just noticed this post from back in the day and I wanted to update people that Brew-School is running a course next year at the end of February with a 5 and 6 day Practical Commercial Brewing Course geared at brewers looking at taking the IBD examination. We have had a broad range of attendees on this course from people looking to set up their own microbrewery to enthusiastic homebrewers and also brewers already in the industry or individuals looking at a change of career and entering the brewing industry. We do run the course several times a year so just get in contact if you are interested in future dates.

Chris Horne
Brew-School