Taste my beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Belter

Taste my beer

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Ok so I've been having a huge problem with my brewing. My brother and I have brewed 5 all grain brews. Two of which have ended up tasting questionable. 1 of which tastes great and two of which we are awaiting the outcome.

So...something is obviously goi ng wrong with our brewing. Something so blindingly obvious. But without anyone close by to come to a brew day and work it out for us we are stabbing in the dark. I know the first thing anyone is going to jump on is an infection and it probably is but we've been really careful and always made sure everything is extra clean. Using videne and starsan.

Is there anyone with a lot of experience willing to trial a brew if I send it to them. Obviously due to costs etc I'd prefer it if twas someone with experience of infection or oxidation etc who knows what the taste is. Its a pretty evident taste. The same taste in both of the ales. Both ales used fuggles hops but we don't think this is the issue.

Anyway If anyone could lend a hand please pm me your address and I'll send you a bottle over. But apologies in advance, it tastes like s#@t.

Cheers

Belter

dedken

Re: Taste my beer

Post by dedken » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Does it taste of TCP?

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 pm

dedken wrote:Does it taste of TCP?

I just tasted one. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I can't really place the flavour. Hence the post

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Whereabouts are you Belter?

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 pm

The land of the gods. Cornwall!!!

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 pm

The land of the gods. Cornwall!!!
well either iv'e got to make a 600 mile round trip, or you'll have to buy a shit load of "proper job"
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Or I can post it to you?

Perhapsif you fancy a holiday I could put you up? 600 miles is a long way. Seems only you northerners can use the internet. No-oneone round here brews their own?

dedken

Post by dedken » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Burned rubber, vinegar, apples, sweetcorn, butter????

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Burned rubber/vinegar perhaps.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 pm

This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but here are a couple good downloadable AHA/BJCP resources. The first one is a descriptive guide to common beer faults and the other one is an overview of the beer judging process. They should help you troubleshoot your own beer a bit, or at least become a more knowledgeable drinker.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_faults.pdf

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/How_to_Judge_Beer.pdf

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 pm

dedken wrote:Burned rubber, vinegar, apples, sweetcorn, butter????
I'd love a second opinion. I'd hate to have to give this hobby up. Pme your address and you can tell everyone else what it tastes like?

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 pm

I would love to give it a go..do you have temperature control in your fermentation?
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Yeah I have an stc-1000 incorporated into a brew fridge with tube heater.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I bet you have under pitched the yeast on both occasions. Or you are using dried yeast. If you want good beer it's liquid yeast and the right amount of it. No question.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 pm

As the co-beer ruiner I'd describe it as cidery, quite bitter with a complete loss of all malt flavour and hop aroma. It also has an almost earthy quality.