What do you bitter with?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
50quidsoundboy

Re: What do you bitter with?

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:13 pm

challenger, target or fuggles. got best results so far with fuggles...

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Ive all but given up on early hops. I tend to use quite a lot of late hops and make light beers, so I get almost all the bittering I need late on. When I do use early bittering, I go for whatever is around and the most economical by using high AA.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 pm

trucker5774 wrote:Ive all but given up on early hops...
That's interesting. I understand that a long hops boil provides the natural gram-negative preservative effects, in addition to bitterness flavors. Do you drink through your batches pretty quickly? Have any of these batches sat around for awhile, and if so, did you notice any hints of spoilage?

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:13 pm

This week I've been mostly bittering with cluster, nice bittering I think, that with citra for aroma is really good in a pale ale.

CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by CestrIan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 pm

At the moment I'm using magnum in evrything from pale ales to pilsners. It has a high alpha, clean bitterness and it lets the late hops shine!!
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 pm

seymour wrote:
That's interesting. I understand that a long hops boil provides the natural gram-negative preservative effects, in addition to bitterness flavors. Do you drink through your batches pretty quickly? Have any of these batches sat around for awhile, and if so, did you notice any hints of spoilage?
I am often drinking my beer 9 days after pitching the yeast! I can't say I have noticed much change as the beer ages, but to be fair, the barrel is finished quite young and there may only be the odd bottle which makes it past 4 weeks.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 am

+1 Magnum

critch

Post by critch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

CestrIan wrote:At the moment I'm using magnum in evrything from pale ales to pilsners. It has a high alpha, clean bitterness and it lets the late hops shine!!

its a damn good bittering hop!

use loads of differing hops for bitterness, although i predominately late hop my beers and get the majority of bitterness from them

lowish cohumulone levels are something i look for in a hop, if a beer is to have a substancial 60 or 90 min addition

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 am

critch wrote: use loads of differing hops for bitterness, although i predominately late hop my beers and get the majority of bitterness from them
Me too, bit of an art to it though.. Do you go by G. Wheelers info?

critch

Post by critch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am

seymour wrote:

ive got some bottles (@4.2%) i did like this that are now over 2 years old , still good but not as great as they where fresh, ive had stuff in cask at this abv last 6 month with no problems

critch

Post by critch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 am

testtube wrote:
critch wrote: use loads of differing hops for bitterness, although i predominately late hop my beers and get the majority of bitterness from them
Me too, bit of an art to it though.. Do you go by G. Wheelers info?
if your talking about post boil addition bitterness me and graham had a conversation online about it(or rather i asked a question and graham answered!) if your talking about grahams opinions on late hopping ive not seen 'em, point me in the right direction please!! :D i tend to just look at bu to gu chart and load the copper up appropriately

grahams the person responsible for me taking up AG brewing(through his books) hes got a lot to answer for!! #-o :lol:

banjokat

Post by banjokat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Another vote for Magnum, usually as first wort

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:54 pm

alix101 wrote:
seymour wrote:
alix101 wrote:...I just thought I would choose a hop that was proven and stock with it .
In that case you can't go wrong with Fuggles.
I don't even like the smell off fuggles...like a farmers armpit.
Mmmmmm... Farmers Armpits. I love them.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Mmmmmm... Farmers Armpits. Iove them.
Thats a shifty in opinion ....I seen to recall the words f@%ki*g fuggles.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Depends on the beer. I'd use summit and simcoe in a double IPA, sterling for a pilsner, and challenger for a bitter.
I'm just here for the beer.