slow lager ferment. is this normal?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brodington

slow lager ferment. is this normal?

Post by brodington » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi guys,

I have brewed my first lager last week.

5kg pale ale malt mashed at 66 deg C.

OG 1050.

Saflager w30/70 yeast reheated as per instructions and pitched at 18 deg.

Placed into brew fridge set to 13deg.

The fermentation does seem to be happening but VERY slowly. 4 days in and its only got to 1036!

Is this normal? Can I ramp up the temp yet to speed it up but keep it clean ish? Or am I best just to wait it out? At this rate it'll be weeks before we hit fg.

From brew sheet:

As a contrast here is a typical ale S04 ferment..:
Image I

Rick_UK

Re: slow lager ferment. is this normal?

Post by Rick_UK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:05 pm

I've just finished my first AG lager and it took nearly a month to reach FG so I'd say its going pretty fast! I used Brewferm lager yeast which was recommended as an alternative to Saflager, it took nearly a week to get started.

Apparently its normal for lagers to take much longer to reach FG - generally the cooler the fermentation the longer they take. Its not like an ale fermentation which can be all over after 3 days.

TBH I don't think I can be arsed doing another proper lager given how long it takes - will stick to Belgian pales or English blond ales when I fancy something lighter.

Rick

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 am

Yep, minimum 2 weeks fermentation, then at least 4 conditioning before you even think about racking.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I love brewing lager. Was never really a lager drinker until I started brewing my own; always favoured ales. It is a long drawn out process but so worth it IMHO. I usually use WLP 800 liquid yeast stepped up several time to get a gallon starter for a 10 gallon batch of pilsner style lager. I ferment at 12 c for 7 days then up to 20c for 3 days then back to 12 for another 7 days before racking into Polypins and lagering at 0c for around 6 weeks, then it is bottled and corny kegged (half and half). Always tastes clean and crisp and Lovely when chilled! If you like good, real lager stick with it as the results are worth it. Good luck with it. :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Horatio wrote:I love brewing lager. Was never really a lager drinker until I started brewing my own; always favoured ales. It is a long drawn out process but so worth it IMHO. I usually use WLP 800 liquid yeast stepped up several time to get a gallon starter for a 10 gallon batch of pilsner style lager. I ferment at 12 c for 7 days then up to 20c for 3 days then back to 12 for another 7 days before racking into Polypins and lagering at 0c for around 6 weeks, then it is bottled and corny kegged (half and half). Always tastes clean and crisp and Lovely when chilled! If you like good, real lager stick with it as the results are worth it. Good luck with it. :D
as above for me as well i really do like wlp 800

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 pm

I made some lager before, was awesome. So much nicer when it isn't filtered of taste and served so cold it burns :)
Don't suppose any of you gents would be willing to share some recipes?

Cooky

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Should be 10-14 days. But will take longer if you under pitch. Lagers need about three times the yeast of an ale.

brodington

Post by brodington » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Oh well looks like I'll not be brewing again for a while then...

My recipe was:

5.5kg pale malt

70g saaz @ 60 mins
85g saaz @15 mins
45g saaz @ flame out

Saflager 39/70 - one dry pack.

OG 1050

13 deg c ferment for first 7 or so days

Ramp up to 17 deg for a few days.

Then cold condition for as long as I can stand not brewing for.

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 am

darkonnis wrote:I made some lager before, was awesome. So much nicer when it isn't filtered of taste and served so cold it burns :)
Don't suppose any of you gents would be willing to share some recipes?

Cooky
Hi Cooky, my last one was brewed with this...

Brew length 45l

OG 1.050

8.4kg Lager Malt
200g Caramalt
400g Wheat Malt
500g Flaked Rice

100g Saaz as FWH
60g Saaz at flame out

Yeast WLP 800 stepped up to a 4.5l starter
90 min mash
90 min boil

Third time I've brewed this one and always go down well with family and friends.

Cheers
Phil.
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Bull Brewing

Post by Bull Brewing » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 pm

This book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewers-Apprent ... 1592537316

Has a good chapter on lager craft brewing. Apparently there are two ways to go: Either you ferment cold from the start, in which case you need to pitch a load of yeast, which means making up a big starter, or you can start a little warmer to give the yeast a chance to multiply. The first option is better because it gives a cleaner flavour - so says the book. I'm just drinking a lager I brewed with Saflager. I brewed it in the spare room during the cold spell (just cold house refrigeration) , and the temperature was up at the top-end of the range - starting at around 17 and then cooling off, then topping at about 16c. What this does is give you diacetyl - which shows up as a slightly butterscotch taste that really good lagers don't have. I'm fine with it personally - its in control.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:48 am

I did a small batch of lager and fermented at 22°c as it was christmas and apparently my family decided they were above jumpers and the heating was on full which knackered it, when i drank it it was pretty good, a slight sulphur taste but all in, not bad at all :)

brodington

Post by brodington » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 am

Well its fermenting slowly but constantly. Down to 1022 today...

Yawn.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:27 am

Slowly is very good! Lagers take lots of time!

brodington

Post by brodington » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am

Ok so I'm well bored of this conditioning now.

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't put it into bottles to condition there.

It fermented (at13deg) to F.G in 13days.
Temp was raised to 17deg for 2days.
It has been sat at 2deg for 14days now. Bored bored bored. Want to brew.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm

taste it. if you're happy drinking it as it is then bottle it and bring it in to the warm.
of course it'll continue to improve if you continue lagering it, but if you're happy with the brew as it is then there's nothing stopping you evaluating your options and choosing to get brewing again, then come back to lagers when you get the right time. i'm just about to stick a helles into secondary that i've rushed through as i know that i'm away and i'm not going to be brewing anyway for a couple of months. seemed perfect timing. :)

i know some people do lager in bottles, but as you'll still need to keep them at lagering temperatures, it makes sense (to me at least) to take advantage of lagering it in bulk.
dazzled, doused in gin..