Cooked Yeast?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Cooked Yeast?

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

renoufthefrog wrote:
Now, my wife thinks I am a bit nutty at the best of times and can't for the life of her figure out how a grown man can get whipped-up into a frenzy by the sight of a plastic bucket full of "brown foamy stuff". I guess I must either be: (a) losing the plot or (b) enjoying what man was born for.
[-X Whatever made you put (a) in that list :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm

I'd taste it before blowing the trumpet if I were you given the long lag with wonderful sweet wort for bacteria.

FuzzySteve

Post by FuzzySteve » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:51 pm

renoufthefrog wrote: 3. Don't drop your hydrometer into your glass sampling tube as it tends to smash the bottom out!!!!
Yep. Been there :/
Always have a back-up hydro as well.

renoufthefrog

Post by renoufthefrog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:58 pm

I let 14 days go nervously past and kept a close eye on the fermentation, and today I barrelled the brew having attained an FG of 1010. Tasted OK, not sour as I would have expected from a contaminated batch, maybe a little sweeter than anticipated and a lovely dark colour. No quick visits to the crapper either! Time will now be the judge as to how it will turn out, in the meantime it will undergo a 2nd fermentation and conditioning in my fermentation fridge for a couple of weeks to keep everything nice and controlled. Any advice as to what temperature to maintain during this phase? At the moment I have kept it all at 21C.

Regards,

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 am

Too high, get it down to 18-20.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 am

Trouble with infections is you won't know for a while yet. A lag time doesn't necessarily mean their will be infection though, it increases the chances but I have a demijohn of wine which I have left in the airing cupboard under airlock for nearly 3 months now. I checked it after 2 and no sign of gravity change at all. I knew the yeast had died and wasn't inclined to waste more which is why I've left it except for sampling. Simply to see how long it'll go on for before something takes hold and tries to climb out at me when i open the door next :twisted:
Hopefully it'll be just fine and if it is you know your sanitisation is spot on.
Cooky

renoufthefrog

Post by renoufthefrog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Have reduced the temperature to 18C as advised, thanks for that as I didn't have a clue. I am so looking forward to a taster, I don't know if I have the patience to wait a couple of weeks as I am very keen to start my second brew but a bit nervous of the outcome of my first attempt.

Would it kill me to draw off a pint? What would you do? Brings back memories of when I wasn't sure about whether to eat a chilli when I was challenged by a local when I was on a trip to the Philippines.....took the challenge of course, good Englishman that I am.... and ended up then next morning with an arse like a blood orange and unable to tolerate chlorine in the pool the next day in temps. of 42C+. Eye-watering.

Cheers, renoufthefrog

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 am

renoufthefrog wrote:
Would it kill me to draw off a pint? What would you do?
I would leave it alone [-X

Fermenting:
Conditioning: