What's occuring, fermenting still going on 11th day

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
bigchris
Piss Artist

What's occuring, fermenting still going on 11th day

Post by bigchris » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 am

Brewing my normal recipe. I use a closed FV with airlock and bubbling is nearly always finished by the 7th day, sometimes 6 days. This brew is now on its 11th day and still bubbling about once every 3.5 minutes, really slow. Same yeast as normal US-05, even the same grains and O.G. 1.042.

Being a bit OCD and loving data I often record the bubbling rate and graph it. here's a typical graph and the graph of the latest, slow, brew. Both at 19 degrees.

Is this a mashing issue?

Rgds
Chris

barney

Re: What's occuring, fermenting still going on 11th day

Post by barney » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 am

Temperature the same?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 am

I had this once a long time ago and it was due to a bacterial infection. Hope this is not true in your case. I had to tip it down the toilet with tears in my eyes!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am

Bubbles do not equal yeast activity. Check your gravity son!

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am

super_simian wrote:Bubbles do not equal yeast activity. Check your gravity son!

Well thanks SS, you're right, of course. I used to go by gravity when fermenting without the airlock. Become lazy I guess, recently, just watching the bubbling for an end to fermentation.

Checked the gravity this morning, 1.008, so looks like it has finished. Will probably rack this off into the keg this afternoon.. gravity sample tasted pretty good too so happy so far.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Lovely bit of data, thank you.
I too found S05 goes on a bit compared with some yeasts, but also not as much as others.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Martin G

Post by Martin G » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Atmospheric pressure did drop steadily during the period at the end of your graph, wonder if that had an effect? Although given the mention of infection, 1.008 would be on the worrying side of low for me with my brews, but I have not used that yeast so perhaps that yeast normally goes low.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 am

Martin G wrote:Atmospheric pressure did drop steadily during the period at the end of your graph, wonder if that had an effect? Although given the mention of infection, 1.008 would be on the worrying side of low for me with my brews, but I have not used that yeast so perhaps that yeast normally goes low.
A man after my own heart. See some unexpcted data and try to identify the cause. I had not considered atmospheric pressure, but now you mention it, I suppose it could have an effect, partly by allowing any gas above the beer to expand out of the airlock to equalise pressure, and partly allowing more disolved gas to be released from the beer.

Checked FG again when kegging, definately 1.008. What I've learned from this is that once my bubbling graph begis to end its sharp descent, around 3 bubbles per minute, I need to start keeping an eye on the FG.

It's generally been a principle of mine not to open the FV any more than necessary.

The kegged beer tastes pretty good, so I'm relieved that it does not seem to be infected.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 am

Martin, you sparked my thinking, but it seems not to be the case, here's the graph with atmospheric pressure plotted from the NPL records on their website.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 pm

1.041 to 1.008 with US05 sounds totally plausible to me. Boom, problem solved.

Martin G

Post by Martin G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

bigchris wrote:Martin, you sparked my thinking, but it seems not to be the case, here's the graph with atmospheric pressure plotted from the NPL records on their website.
Well I, wouldn't want to argue with NPL!

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:24 pm

I did a AIPA with US-05 and it fermented for about that time too, it went for about 1056 to 1012 (if I remember rightly). After about 11 days I transferred to an another FV to dry hop and rest it for 3 days, from brewing to kegging was 14 days... and it was my best beer yet! US-05 does seem to ferment for longer so I wouldn't worry about it.

My second batch of IPA with simcoe hops has just been transferred to a secondary FV after exactly 11 days of good fermentation, temperature was also about 20 degrees and it's at 1012, so again I am happy with the results. Quick slurp from the trial jar indicates that this will be another cracking IPA!

Let us know how it tastes when ready!

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm

A bubble every 1 minute or more is an indicator its done. Obviously the hydrometer is your definitive answer.