What type of capper to buy ?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: What type of capper to buy ?

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

I only bottle. Never cask. I too have a bench capper and it's a fantastic bit of kit. I had considered nailing it down to a big block of wood (as mine has holes in the base to do just that) but there was never any need. As long as you hold the bottle when you pull the handle down, everything is as secure as it needs to be.

Only bit of advice is that you should wipe the inside of the capper with oil before you begin bottling otherwise the caps can stick a bit.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: What type of capper to buy ?

Post by oldbloke » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Fuggled Mind wrote:I only bottle. Never cask. I too have a bench capper and it's a fantastic bit of kit. I had considered nailing it down to a big block of wood (as mine has holes in the base to do just that) but there was never any need. As long as you hold the bottle when you pull the handle down, everything is as secure as it needs to be.

Only bit of advice is that you should wipe the inside of the capper with oil before you begin bottling otherwise the caps can stick a bit.
Mine is slightly flared so the bottles lever out nicely