American Amber Ale hops?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
beer gut

American Amber Ale hops?

Post by beer gut » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi all I am going to brew a American Amber Ale for a competition and I can't decide which hops to use. I am going to use Amarillo for bitterness but I am not sure what to use at the finish. I think Amarillo is to strong at the finish for a beer that should lean towards malt. I have thought about crystal, Liberty even Australian hop Summer which I have in stock but I know the purists won't like the use of Australian hops in a American ale so I am a little stuck, I don't want to use the every day hops I want something else, that's why I thought of Summer it is delicate with soft fruits not to strong to let the malt through. I used Amarillo in the past it has fantastic soft bitterness but very strong aroma. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jimp2003

Re: American Amber Ale hops?

Post by jimp2003 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 pm

I have used cluster in the past and have got nice berry fruit from it which goes really well with malt character.

For some reason they seem to get a bad rep but I think this is because a lot of people can't get past the fact they are not citrussy or piney which are the common features of the modern US hops.

More info can be found HERE

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:08 pm

American Ambers although malty can be highly hopped. I brewed the following last monday which is based on a recipe by Jamil which I have scaled down from starting gravity of 1067 to 1044. Im using Falconer's Flight for the hops which is a blend of 7 american hops. I orginally tried wilkos gervin yeast but it did not work and pitched a packet of US-05 24 hours later. Its tasting great out of the fermenter.

American Amber FF (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.55 %
Colour (SRM): 12.6 (EBC): 24.9
Bitterness (IBU): 38.7 (Average)

75% Pale Malt
8% Crystal 30
8% Munich II
4% Biscuit
4% Crystal 120
1% Chocolate

0.5 g/L Columbus (17% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L Falconers Flight (11.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L Falconers Flight (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.7 g/L Falconers Flight (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I also split a third of the wort 45 mins into the boil to make a weaker UK amber

English Amber (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.034 (°P): 8.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 3.34 %
Colour (SRM): 10.6 (EBC): 20.8
Bitterness (IBU): 27.0 (Average)

75% Pale Malt
8% Crystal 30
8% Munich II
4% Biscuit
4% Crystal 120
1% Chocolate

0.4 g/L Columbus (16% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L East Kent Golding (6.24% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L East Kent Golding (6.24% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP002 - English Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Last year I brewed an amber using simcoe, summit (not summer) and saphir that turned out great.
I'm just here for the beer.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 pm

I've not brewed it yet but I've got one planned with centennial and galaxy. Like your idea it's not a true American because galaxy are Australian but I think whilst aiming for a style is good, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing something a bit different.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Those recipes sound very interesting I have had my eye on cluster a few times but never took the plunge. I have seen the Falconers flight on the American brew pages but can't get it in England. I have seen on the Malt Miller some new American hops to try. I was looking at Ebu's at 30 which sounds a little high compared to the recipes shown. I like the sound of Galaxy which is alot like Citra so it would blend well with American hops.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 am

I read that the American 'C' hops go best in an American amber ale so anything piney and citrussy should work.
I've only brewed one American amber ale and I bittered with Nugget and all aroma and flavour additions came from cascade. Quite simple but very effective. I was very happy with the results.
I keep promising myself that I'll brew another batch using a combination of Simcoe and cascade but never get around to it.
Good luck with the brew and keep us informed how it turns out.

Cheers
Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

plot2pot

Post by plot2pot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:03 pm

I recently brewed and American Amber and used Citra, Simcoe and Cascade and I was very pleased with it

Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Rookie wrote:Last year I brewed an amber using simcoe, summit (not summer) and saphir that turned out great.
Rookie, what do you mean by "not summer"?

critch

Post by critch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:48 pm

im assuming he means he used summit hops not summer hops..........

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 pm

critch wrote:im assuming he means he used summit hops not summer hops..........
Yes. I've not seen summer hops available in the States, but do see them refered to on this forum.
I'm just here for the beer.