Rye

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
beer gut

Re: Rye

Post by beer gut » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi does this Rye beer finish? cloudy or clear? The reason I ask is I thought Rye ales Traditionally where served cloudy and Rice lowers the nitrogen in beer therefore helping the ale clear which you already know I am just curious on how the Rice and Rye work's that's all.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 pm

beer gut wrote:Hi does this Rye beer finish? cloudy or clear? The reason I ask is I thought Rye ales Traditionally where served cloudy and Rice lowers the nitrogen in beer therefore helping the ale clear which you already know I am just curious on how the Rice and Rye work's that's all.
It finishes clear. It has the crispness of rye but average drinkers would mistake it for a plain ol' lager. You're thinking of "traditional" rye ales such as Sahti, Tavastian beer, Gotlandsdricke, Koduõlu, etc. Those were cloudy because of primitive malting techniques, poor filtration, no boil, and baker's yeast. Plenty of modern-day beers containing rye are perfectly clear.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri May 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi my smoked Rye ale is clear but as soon as you start to chill it down for serving it goes real cloudy. I read on the BJCP guidelines that a Traditional Rye ale should be cloudy but modern versions can be served cloudy or clear. I find the use of Rice and Rye fascinating, this would go real well in a summer Rye ale or maybe a Rye P.A. Where a crisp flavour is required and will give the finished Rye ale a refreshing finish.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Here's another cool-looking one that came up on another thread:
seymour wrote:Here are two stories from 2010 about the guys who revived a Truman's recipe which they call Truman's Runner. Can any of you guys verify if it's similar to the original?

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/07/31/ ... talfields/
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/beer-fan ... 96445.html

Details gathered from those articles:

Truman's Runner (Best Bitter, 2010 revival based on historical Truman recipes)
brewed at Nethergate brewery
ABV: 4.0%
IBU: low
Colour: dark brown
Grainbill: Maris Otter, Chocolate Malt, Crystal Rye, Wheat, Dark Crystal Rye
Hops: Fuggles, Goldings

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Seymour - I hope you don't mind a correction, but Autumn Frenzy was brewed not by Ushers of Edinburgh, but by now defunct Ushers of Trowbridge, the county town of Wiltshire in south west England. When the brewery closed, the plant was sold to North Korea (as you know). Thanks anyway for the info on Autumn Frenzy. I'm trying to find recipes for Ushers beers, as I grew up in the next town and their Best was the beer I drank when I began my drinking career.