Porter with Pilsner Malt?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Porter with Pilsner Malt?

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:55 pm

I bought 40kg of both pale ale and pilsner malt and it looks like the pale ale sack is getting emptier a lot quicker. Next brew looks like it will be a 4.5-5% porter - would it be ok to use pilsner malt instead of pale ale - would there be a flavour difference?

Cheers

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Porter with Pilsner Malt?

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

No problem there. My last Guinness Extra brew was done using lager malt, probably the same as pilsner and for the very same reason. Any difference wasn't noticed and would only be marginal/theoretical in either case.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Go for it. Pilsener is an excellent grainy pale malt for any style, even dark ales. I love those results, and have no idea why it's not done more often. It sometimes lends a subtle candy-like sweetness, almost vanilla, marshmallowy flavour which is really cool.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm

They're all ever so slightly different but I think they're all quite subtle so unless you're doing a SMASH (single malt/hop brew) then i doubt you'll taste too much difference.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

In a bitter or simple pale ale, you'd notice a difference. In a porter, with all the dark malts and perhaps crystal too, the base malt will be just that. Base malt.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Malting company of Ireland supply 4 malt types,stout,ale,lager and distilling. On a visit to them I was told that the enzyme enriched stout malt was for Guinness and the lager malt was for Heineken. Heineken use it for their Lager and for brewing Murphy's Stout and Beamish Stout.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie