is this what an infection looks like?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
oliver tate

is this what an infection looks like?

Post by oliver tate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi,
I have just had a look at my beer I brewed 2 weeks ago. It is a pale ale, using us05 yeast. I was planning on racking it off but the og was only 1.016 so am wondering if something has gone awry. Had a quick look and as you can see in the pic there is white yeasty deposits on top. Unfortunately the beer did get a little hot whilst fermenting but I tasted what was in the hydrometer glass and it tasted great. What would be my best course of action? Leave it be and see if it is an infection? Rack it off?
Not sure as never seen deposits like that before.
Thanks for any advice

Oliver

windows automatic screenshot
Last edited by oliver tate on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brotherton Lad

Re: is this what an infection looks like?

Post by Brotherton Lad » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Looks like it might be acetobacter aceti which will be turning your beer into vinegar.

If it tastes OK, you may wish to drink it now or use it for cooking or on chips later. Your FV will need a good sanitising session.

Jimmy321

Post by Jimmy321 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:35 pm

If it tastes great then bottle it and drink when conditioned. Some infections like Brettanomyces will take ages to sour the beer.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

oliver tate wrote:Is this what an infection looks like?
Yes

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Impossible to tell what it is, but it's certainly not S. Cerevisiae (brewer's yeast) forming a pellicle like that.

If it tastes good, sup it. If it tastes bad, bin it.

You'll want to nuke that FV from orbit before using it again - It's the only way to be sure.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Aye, the good thing about beer is that is it taste nice, its more than likely fine to drink. You may want to sup that sharpish though, that is definitely an infection and if the gravity has finished as high as all that then I'd be thinking that the yeast has been out performed by said bacteria.

To sanitise that FV I'd fill it with boiling water to the brim and chuck a lid on it when its cooled t osay 40c I'd be getting copious amounts of sanitiser in there and leaving over night.

If you don't use starsan, I can honestly say its one of the better sanitisers out there and its no rinse!

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:49 pm

As for the FV I clean it and use it for storage , for the sake of a £5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chapelwood-CPW0 ... t+with+lid I'd buy new one :D

I speak from experience viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58281, I've lost 4 brews since the turn of the year :shock:
But alls back on track now :D

Andy

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Many thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I have a 4 hour drive tonight to as music festival so no time for bottling. I have racked it into a 2nd fermenter and stuck it in the fridge and will see what it's like Monday and report back. I left the last few cm's in the original fv and tasted it out of interest. Tasted great! Not a massive loss if it does turn bad as it was only a small batch. I will relegate the fv to a grain store and replace it, plus I will get some different sanitizer.

Out of interest Andy, what did you change which meant no more infections?

On the day I brewed the beer I actually did 2 batches, and the other batch looks fine in the fv, so I am guessing the infection came from the fv

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 pm

oliver tate wrote:Many thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I have a 4 hour drive tonight to as music festival so no time for bottling. I have racked it into a 2nd fermenter and stuck it in the fridge and will see what it's like Monday and report back. I left the last few cm's in the original fv and tasted it out of interest. Tasted great! Not a massive loss if it does turn bad as it was only a small batch. I will relegate the fv to a grain store and replace it, plus I will get some different sanitizer.

On the day I brewed the beer I actually did 2 batches, and the other batch looks fine in the fv, so I am guessing the infection came from the fv
Assuming you've covered hygiene of the basic items like your chilling coil (and any potential leaks causing aerosols), FV, anything you use to aerate (if you do) and whatever you use to take gravity samples the other place to look is the tap on the boiler.
I had a right old run around with mine - I stripped it and found growth behind the ball and seals, cleaned it and boiled it up, still got a problem. Stripped it and removed the spigot this time and found more growth on the shaft of the spigot - not a lot mind you but it was just shielded enough from the heat and sanitiser to be able to survive and cause a problem. The thing to remember about sanitisers is that they are only effective a) where they can reach and b) if they have a long enough contact time (at least 20 mins for chlorine based products really to be on the safe side)
Now I fully strip the valve after each brew and the problem is solved.

Do you circulate/draw off hot wort from the tap near the end of the boil to sanitise it? There might be an issue with contamination ending up on the nice worty boiler tap after brew #1 maybe?

Cheers
Steve

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Has it been temperature controlled over the last 2 weeks? You mention it getting a bit hot during fermentation, but if it's been sitting around in temperatures up to 30C for a couple of weeks I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like that happening - especially as microbes are plentiful at this time of year. In this weather I like to get stuff out of the FV ASAP.

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 pm

The fv's have been in a cool room, and I have tried keeping them cool as best as possible but I think the yeast will of been higher in temp than it should of been at least a couple of times, I wasn't expecting it to get this hot!. I am actually picking up a fridge on Monday to build a temperature controlled set up so hopefully that will not happen again.

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 pm

And Steve, thanks for your suggestions, I will follow your advice

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm

oliver tate wrote:
My Shed roof :D

Andy

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 pm

An update on this.....

After bottling it last week I tried 1 tonight and it is delicious, no off flavours at all. It's only a small batch so me and a couple of mates are going to polish it off this weekend. I guess I just got lucky that it's still drinkable. I won't take it for granted though and will step up my sanitation (plus get a new fermenter)

Jimmy321

Post by Jimmy321 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm finishing off the dregs of a batch I was considering pouring away a few months back, it had a white film developing in the FV but I when ahead and kegged it. It now has a very slight sour taste but it suits the beer quite well, glad I never tossed it!