Blue Monkey - BG Sips

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
DerbyshireNick

Blue Monkey - BG Sips

Post by DerbyshireNick » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Afternoon all.

I am looking at building up a nice PA and as is my usual technique I start with a known beer I like and then each brew evolve it a little where I see fit.

Looking to base this one from Blue Monkey's awesome BG Sips (Highly recommend the brewery full stop if you haven't tried their stuff. They simply do not make a bad beer).

now I know it uses brewers gold but google doesnt bring home any recipies unsuprisingly.

I suspect it may need more than 100g of hops over a 23L batch to cover aroma but how does the following sound as a close approximation?

4.5KG MO

25g BG @ 90
25g BG @ 45
25g BG @ 10
25g BG @ FO or maybe secondary

Not sure if to bias the hops a bit more toward the bittering end of the boil or not. I don't think it will be bad either way but always good to hit the ground running. :mrgreen:

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Re: Blue Monkey - BG Sips

Post by Befuddler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I would move more hops to the end of the boil. Blue Monkey beers are very big on hop flavour. I'd aim for 35-40 IBU, with most of it coming from additions in the last 30 mins.

Have you tried emailing them? Some brewers are really helpful. One local micro even let me read his recipe book.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:28 pm

I might give it a go - the worst that can happen is I get no response.

Yeah I had a feeling I would be underdoing aroma as it was. Ill have a play in beersmith or something and see how it comes out targeting that IBU range.

Cheers Befuddler!

smdjoachim

Post by smdjoachim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 pm

This came pretty close

Brewers Gold

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 3.89 %
Colour (SRM): 5.4 (EBC): 10.6
Bitterness (IBU): 32.2 (Tinseth)

76.92% Maris Otter Malt
12.82% Wheat Malt
5.13% Cane Sugar
5.13% Caramalt

0.7 g/L Brewers Gold (8.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Brewers Gold (8.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Brewers Gold (8.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Brewers Gold (8.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP862 - Cry Havoc

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Interesting smdjoachim.

I got some pretty generous info back from Blue Monkey which isn't a million miles away from your approximation.

In a nutshell its MO or Larger malt (I am assuming they change it up or mix it) with a bit of wheat for head retention.

The hop schedule is very close to what you have stated with a target of 29 IBU. Ill have a play with it when I can to scale the recipe and report what ill be attempting shortly.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Blue Monkey do some great beers, at our Leicester Beerfest this year they seemed to be one of the favourite local breweries, and the Big Blue IPA was a winner!

I would love to brew one of their beers but not looked into recipes yet, but the recipe above looks pretty good. I would definitely go for the 10% wheat and majority of the hops being used at the later stages. The 5mins and 0mins seem to have great results specially with a 30 minute steep before chilling the wort.

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Right, been beersmithing (to be fair its the first time I have used it in anger I find it far too fiddly)

To match the recommended IBU from the brewery and from their hints we are looking at the following -

4kg Marris
250g Wheat Malt
25g Brewers Gold @ 60
20g Brewers Gold @ 10
20g Brewers Gold @ 3
35g* Brewers Gold @ FO

*Weight based on the "sod it might as well finish off the pack" method.

It will be a week or two until the brew (Still got to mend some leaks on the new kettle and sort out my brewing environment which is full of junk awaiting the tip / recycling center) but ill report back on this thread if and when there is news.

Edit -

The above was based on beersmiths 8% AA figuire for the Brewers gold. Recipe will be adjusted on the day if what I buy is different to achieve the same projected 29 IBUs

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Finally got around to brewing. Due to time I am doing the old mash and sparge tonight with a boil in the morning. The risk taker in me is tempted to first wort hop it overnignt but I think ill save that for the second time I do the recipe.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 pm

In an attempt to recreate the astoundingly wonderful Crouch Vale Brewery 'Brewer's Gold', I brewed this a month or so ago. Very nice and, according to a mate who knows the real thing very well, it was "surprisingly similar"! My tasting notes say; "Like a more malty, hoppy and powerful version of the real thing. Good hop aroma and flavour. Make the same again, but less of everything!"

Pale Malt 5 EBC 4500 grams

Brewers Gold Whole 8.7 %AA 90 mins 15 grams
Brewers Gold Whole 8.7 %AA 15 mins 40 grams
Brewers Gold Whole 8.7 %AA 0 mins 25 grams

Brewers Gold Whole 8.7%AA Dry hopped in the keg 20g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.045
Bitterness: 32 EBU
Colour: 8 EBC

Guy

bellebouche
Hollow Legs

Post by bellebouche » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

ok. new to me... but at a rare visit to a recent UK beer festival this last week and this beer leapt out of the glass. It was outstanding.

Mentally I could taste a little of that aromatic/tannic/floral edge from a darjeeling.... but I suspect that was simply me mentally thinking it had some tea-related roots.

If that's what brewers Gold tastes like (I've never used that hop before) then I'm buying some *today*. Exceptional beer.

Dog house brewing
Sober

Post by Dog house brewing » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 pm

[quote=DerbyshireNick post_id=643746 time=1375471008]
Finally got around to brewing. Due to time I am doing the old mash and sparge tonight with a boil in the morning. The risk taker in me is tempted to first wort hop it overnignt but I think ill save that for the second time I do the recipe.
[/quote]

Was it anything like?
My dad and farther in law love this beer so thinking about brewing a clone for them

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Post by Galena » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Dog house brewing wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 pm
DerbyshireNick wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 pm
Was it anything like?
My dad and farther in law love this beer so thinking about brewing a clone for them
I don't think DerbyshireNick is registered on this forum anymore, but I do like this beer myself and would certainly give a decent recipe a go.

Dog house brewing
Sober

Post by Dog house brewing » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm

[quote=Galena post_id=851485 time=1592257770 user_id=30202]
[quote="Dog house brewing" post_id=851474 time=1592247938 user_id=30865]
[quote=DerbyshireNick post_id=643746 time=1375471008]
[/quote]

Was it anything like?
[/quote]
I don't think DerbyshireNick is registered on this forum anymore, but I do like this beer myself and would certainly give a decent recipe a go.
[/quote]

I will give DerbyshireNicks recipe a half batch try and see how it comes out, at least we know what the IBU needs to be and his recipe matches that, he may have got it bang on the money.

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Post by Galena » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:10 pm

I will give DerbyshireNicks recipe a half batch try and see how it comes out, at least we know what the IBU needs to be and his recipe matches that, he may have got it bang on the money.
Let us know how you get on

Galena
Steady Drinker

Post by Galena » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:04 am

In fact, why not record and post it as a Brewday on here? :)