Ahhh - so thats what a 'vigorous ferment' looks like

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Ahhh - so thats what a 'vigorous ferment' looks like

Post by lord groan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Did my 2nd personal AG brew yesterday (done a few joint ones with a friend too) - GW's Guinness clone, gravity after partial cooling was 1048 at about 28c. Does this mean my efficiency is good? OG should have been 1042 according to BYOBRA.

Rehydrated a sachet of Muntons yeast and pitched at 10pm. Came down this morning and found the lid partly pushed off the fermenting bin and foam running down the outside and leaking out of my thermostatic temp controlled cupboard, onto the floor, I cleaned up, spooned the krausen off the surface to leave 6 or 7 cm headroom and went to work, 30mins later agitated SWMBO rang, my beer is leaking over the floor again! In 30 mins! Holy Carp!
Tonight I cleaned up again, checked the gravity - 1020. !!!? Temp has varied today admittedly, brew got too hot so has been going between 20 and 26/7c

How fast should this ferment out? around 25-30 gravity points in under 24 hours seems huge.

JammyBStard

Re: Ahhh - so thats what a 'vigorous ferment' looks like

Post by JammyBStard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 pm

That's normal enough for certain Yeasts like Nottingham (Muntons might be similar). Most of the fermentation is done in the first 24 to 48 hours.
You learn the hardway about head room in the fermentor! I like to do 21L in a 30L vessel to avoid this.
To an extent efficieny is efficiency it just depends on your process. It can be too high or too low. between 70 and 80 is generally a good place to be. Above 90' I'd worry your rincing the tannings out of the grain and below 60' somethings not working great.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the link Jammy,
Ditch wins - no contest, mine was much less dramatic than that!
But I am now going back on the scrounge for a 30+l chutney barrel to serve as my stout fermenter

TheSheeprug

Post by TheSheeprug » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 am

I ferment with the lid off so the crust of yeast just sits on top, rather than overflowing onto the floor.
...but not always. I pitched some Belle Saison yeast last week and left the lid on assuming it wouldn't do much for the first 12 hours, and it literally blew the lid off by morning. There was yeast 'shrapnel' all over the inside of the fridge! Maybe i'll set up a camera next time. There might be some good footage.

SR.