Left Over Grain

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
boingy

Re: Left Over Grain

Post by boingy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Our chicken goes nuts for it. She gets it fresh for a couple of days after a brewday then I freeze the rest in small bags. It seems a grain popsicle keeps the boredom at bay, at least if you're a chicken.

jock128

Post by jock128 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:11 pm

bryanferry wrote:Took 6 hours to dry fully, grind and sift down to a flour. Bit of faff but well worth it for the tasty treats.
That looks like a lot of effort, but I bet the bread tastes great! I'd love to see the finished product.
boingy wrote: It seems a grain popsicle keeps the boredom at bay, at least if you're a chicken.
Who doesn't love a popsicle ... OK, perhaps not a grain one, but have you ever thought about a Beer one? It's either the best idea in the world, or the worst!

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 pm

IPA wrote:
Clobber wrote:My neighbours chickens won't touch it.... strange chickens or bad grain?
They will only eat it when it is fresh i.e. max three days old as it goes sour very quickly
My chooks won't touch the stuff! I give mine to my neighbours for there pigs and get sausages and bacon in exchange. :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

jock128

Post by jock128 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Eggs? Bacon? Sausages? Nearly all the bits needed for a good old fry up! That's what I call a good use of spent grain!

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 pm

I throw mine into the adjacent field. It's about 200 yards from the neighbour's farmhouse but their dozen chickens always make a beeline for it. One even likes nesting in it !?!
We get a dozen fresh eggs from the farm every fortnight. You can't beat a fresh egg........oh, hang on :roll:
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

fordpopular
Piss Artist

Post by fordpopular » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:01 pm

boingy wrote:Our chicken goes nuts for it. She gets it fresh for a couple of days after a brewday then I freeze the rest in small bags. It seems a grain popsicle keeps the boredom at bay, at least if you're a chicken.
good idea, I give some to my chickens and bin the rest as it goes off if left wet but will try freezing it next time :D

jock128

Post by jock128 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:04 am

I spoke to the caretaker at work this morning who has chickens, he seems keen to give it a go. Not sure how many free eggs I'll get but it is certainly worth a a crack (He can be a bit stingy)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 am

jock128 wrote:. Not sure how many free eggs I'll get but it is certainly worth a crack )
Cracked egg!!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

jock128

Post by jock128 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:11 am

IPA wrote:
jock128 wrote:. Not sure how many free eggs I'll get but it is certainly worth a crack )
Cracked egg!!
Boom Boom!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm

jock128 wrote:
bryanferry wrote:Took 6 hours to dry fully, grind and sift down to a flour. Bit of faff but well worth it for the tasty treats.
That looks like a lot of effort, but I bet the bread tastes great! I'd love to see the finished product.

Pic of the most recent effort. Wholemeal bread on the right with 75 grams spent grain that was put through a coffee grinder and then sifted. On the left is an experimental spent grain and oat breakfast bars. Mainly fruit, butter, brown sugar, peanut butter and honey with oats/grain and coconut topping. First sampling seems to be on the right track (and uses a bit more of the 'free' spare grain).
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

jock128

Post by jock128 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:06 am

They look amazing, you have inspired me to try a bit of both after my next brew day (time allowing).

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 am

Nice work bryanferrry. Perhaps I'm going to have to upset the ducks and chickens now and start baking!

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 am

I tried adding spent grain to bread once but it ended up very sharp and spiky, so I can see why you need to grind it...

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:59 am

The first loaf I tried was just using the dried mash grain and it was spiky and also very heavy. The grinding and sifting is a vast improvement in bread.

Going to try and make some burger buns from the spent grain chef this week http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/rec ... rger-buns/ will post a pic if they actually turn out as prescribed.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:05 pm

I see I might give it another go then!