New rig is producing very Malty beers - help

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
setmash

New rig is producing very Malty beers - help

Post by setmash » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi guys,

My new RIMs rig is working a treat - after a few teething problems. Ive brewed 3 ales on it so far and given them good time to condition in the corny. However all 3 beers are very Malty in taste, much more than on my old rig. The only other thing Ive changed is malts to Crisp Maris Otter and Ive also change to liquid yeasts. The only odd thing i can think of in my process is that my strike temp has always been too low and the RIMs has taken some time to get to 66 degrees. Could this be the issue ? Any other ideas or guidance ?

Thanks

bob3000

Re: New rig is producing very Malty beers - help

Post by bob3000 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 pm

So the only thing you have changed is the malt and the yeast......?

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Lower mash temps will give a drier thinner beer, so your strike temp is unlikely to be the cause - unless your thermometer is out and you are mashing higher than you think, which would give you fuller bodied, maltier beers. Are your FGs higher than previously?

The malt and yeast could be the culprits - you could make a batch with the same malt or yeast as previous brews and see what the difference is. In my experience though, different base ale malts don't make a massive difference to flavour - I've only tried 3 though.

Rick

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm

How is the control on the RIMS element handled and where is the temperature sensor? Unless you are controlling the RIMS element with a PID and the temperature sensor is located immediately downstream on the element, you may be overheating the wort. That overheating denatures the enzymes and eventually your wort is stripped of the capability to convert starches to sugars. Unfortunately, I found this out the hard way. Malty, thicker beer that won't attenuate properly was the result.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:29 pm

What mash pH are you hitting?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Martin is right and it's almost certainly the cause. Despite having all the necessary equipment, I've kept away from RIMS for this very reason, not that I'm suggesting you should. My mash temperatures are chosen knowing it will cool, so you might care or need to try mashing at a little lower temperature once you solve your strike problem.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Not being funny but could it be your new 'liquid' yeast? If it's a different strain then that could most definitely produce a malty beer :)
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 pm

I would guess its at the RIMS that you have the problem too. However a process of elimination would be best. Change back to your old malt supply and old yeast first.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

asd

Post by asd » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Most people would be very pleased that their beer tasted very malty - the brewery must be working well. It's hardly a fault!

asd

Post by asd » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 pm

bob3000 wrote:So the only thing you have changed is the malt and the yeast......?
AND the whole brewing rig :lol:

setmash

Post by setmash » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be fair even though the rig has changed the process is the same other than the addition of the RIMs. Yes many things have changed which is why i asked for advice to help guide me. I checked my notes and the yeast in the first brew was actually the yeast i used to use so that rules that out. PH is also OK. I use a BCS to control the whole set up and the RIMs is PID controlled via software. Ive now set the PWM to 20% duty cycle to reduce any risk of scorching - thanks for the input on that. The 3rd brew I did has been in the corny 8 weeks and the maltiness has subsided a fair bit - its a superb beer right up there with the best ive ever made.

I did my 4th brew yesterday with 20% duty cycle a higher strike temp (which worked well). PH, OG and volume all bang on so I will see what it tastes like once its conditioned. The new rig is performing like a charm, I love it but i do need to continue to work on the software to make it better.

Thanks again for the help.

asd

Post by asd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:37 pm

What's a BCS controller?

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 am

asd wrote:What's a BCS controller?
Google is your friend - http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout