Lagering in a corny question

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
faeyd

Lagering in a corny question

Post by faeyd » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Guys,

My pilsner is bubbling away nicely at 11c at the moment and I will leave it like that for a couple of weeks. Then I will rest it for a couple of days and then onto lagering. I want to lager it for 8 weeks and wanted to use a corny for it... am I OK to get it in the corny, purge the air and leave it at 2c for 8 weeks?

I don't relish the idea of lagering in normal secondary (bucket).

Jeff

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Re: Lagering in a corny question

Post by dazer23866 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:04 am

yes that will be fine you could then serve it from there or transfer to another keg

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:04 am

Are you doing a D-rest?
Are you planning to rack again after lagering as the only concern I'd have would be sediment in the corny.

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks Dazer.

Anthony: I will D-Rest and I plan to transfer to bottles after the lagering. Although from the corny should be fine as I have cut the dip tubes back about half an inch.

Jeff

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:45 pm

A naughty attempted highjacking here, if I'm allowed :D

On the same subject, if I brew a lager, bottle it with priming sugar, give it a week in the warm and then leave it in the fridge for 2 months, will that take it through the lagering process?

I'm interested in a number of ways you can lager a beer at home without leaving it in primary and taking up a fridge for 8 weeks.

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:17 am

I'm curious too Rob :) I have a couple of fridges but would like to have 3 beers fermenting at once and won't be able to now.