Lager temps

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
far9410
Even further under the Table

Lager temps

Post by far9410 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi
Lager brewing season is nearly upon us, what with cooler temps an all, I posted on here some time ago, but can't find it, what fermenting temperature schedule would you recommend for s23 yeast? :)
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Charles1968

Re: Lager temps

Post by Charles1968 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:56 pm

I haven't used it myself but Fermentis recommend 12-15 Celsius. You can brew lager at any time of year just by putting the FV in a 4-season sleeping bag with one or two frozen water bottles. I've got one on the go at the moment. It helps if you have a stick-on thermometer so you can swap fresh ice bottles in as needed. I've managed to crash cool a whole FV to 4 degrees with four 2-litre ice bottles. Holding the temp at 10 or 12 this way is a cinch.

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:54 pm

hi far 11- 15 degrees i think not sure if u have to use 2 packs :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 am

On the subject of yeast, if I make a starter for a lager, should it be kept in the lager fermenting range? Obviously all my ale starters tend to be left at room temp.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:09 am

chris.laws.54943 wrote:On the subject of yeast, if I make a starter for a lager, should it be kept in the lager fermenting range? Obviously all my ale starters tend to be left at room temp.
When 'growing' a starter the recommended temperature is 23-25°c. A little warmer is OK for ale but lager shouldn't go higher than this.
I appreciate this goes against what you would expect but the yeast remain are in the aerobic growth stage not the anaerobic fermenting state.
Further info can be found in the Yeast book or this article on Maltose Falcons website - http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeas ... -practices

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 am

Actually in a wort greater than 1.012 (4% glucose) even in the presence of oxygen yeast respire anaerobically, due to the Crabtree effect. If you take yeast and pitch into 25L of wort which you have removed the majority of oxygen from (say by stripping it with CO2) you will still get a growth phase (logarithmic) followed by a 'static' phase with little growth.

To the OP remember that in a starter you are making yeast not making beer, yeast do not acclimate to temperature, and therefore you can ferment your starter at 20-22C even if it is a lager, once the starter has worked out, then gradually reduce the temperature to fermenting, wait for the yeast to settle out, pour off the liquid and then pitch the slurry.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 am

That's great advice thank you Anthony.