Sorachi Ace?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
jack_c

Sorachi Ace?

Post by jack_c » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm brewing a Pale Ale on Sat and bought some Sorachi Ace on a whim and am now wondering if it was such a good idea. The website said "Grapefruit" flavour, however, going by the reviews I've read from people who have used it seems to indicate either mainly dill flavour, or, lemongrass, or coconut...

Grapefruit sounds good, dill not so much...

I was originally planning all Sorachi Ace for boiling and Chinook to Dry hop, however, am worried about the "unique" flavour so now considering using as little Sorachi ace as possible and only to bitter, and use Simco / Chinook for late additions and dry hopping with Citra and Chinook. (I have some Simcoe and Citra left over from the last brew)

Has anyone used a large amount of Sorachi either to bitter, or, dry hop? What did you think? Is anyone a fan of Sorachi, or, had the supposed grapefruit flavour when using it to brew?

Should I go for the original plan, or, use as little as possible and mix it up with the left over hops?

barry44

Re: Sorachi Ace?

Post by barry44 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Tried a magnum/Sorachi ace Pale Ale and it truly is a strange one.

Not sure at all about it. All I got was coconut, no citrus.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 pm

I must get round to getting some SA - I'd love to make a Yebisu Lager clone this year :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:13 am

I think it depends on the year, mine are from 2012 and taste of coconut, I think the 2013 crop was the lemongrass used 100gms in a strong porter and it turned out very nice, made a good mix with the dark malts.

Not sure about the newer crops.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:19 am

These are 2013 harvest so fingers crossed for lemongrass not coconut...

barry44

Post by barry44 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:53 am

I can't remember what year mine were, i used 50g and binned the rest.

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:55 am

I did a pale with Sorachi and was quite disappointed with the results. I wanted to find out what level of bonkers sorachi ace really was and expected it to be a real smack in the chops. I think I under hopped the late and dry hops because what I was left with was very drinkable, very smooth but a little bland, almost tea like? I think I have 1 bottle left which is coming up on 6 months old so will try that tonight and see how the flavour profile has developed and report back.

Pinto wrote:I must get round to getting some SA - I'd love to make a Yebisu Lager clone this year :)
PM me your address! I think I still have some T90s sitting around in the freezer that I dont mind sharing. :D

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 pm

I've a hopefully cunning plan:

1) Use the Chinook to bitter on Saturday's brew
2) Buy some bland pale ale / lite beer from the shop and dry hop a few pints with the Sorachi at different concentrations to see what levels will be nice (if at all)
3) Taste them in 5 days and see exactly what the Sorachi will give me dry hop wise
4) If its good - dry hop with it. If it's bad, use the Citra and Simcoe to dry hop and give the remaining Sorachi to whoever wants it

Sound like a good plan?

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:42 pm

You could always save the left over sorachi for an alice porter clone.

Fido97

Post by Fido97 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

I brewed a single hopped pale IPA using ace. The results were not 'ace' to be honest. Perfectly drinkable, just didn't much like the slightly strange flavour - others have spoken of coconut and I definitely picked this up. Saying that it was heavily hopped in the copper and dry hopped as well - cant remember exactly the IBUs but guessing 40 ish. I reckon it might be better to combine with other hops ...though its personal taste at the end of the day - you might love a coconut ale!

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

On Sat I dry hopped 4x bottles of Coors lite with it (popped the cap, stuffed in hops and recapped) with 1g, 1.3g, 1.6g and 2g respectively to see exactly what to expect.

I'll update you tomorrow with the tasting notes

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm

I bought 100g of Sorachi Ace based on the description of "citrus - lemon grass flavour". In February this year I brewed a stout 1046 OG, 39 IBU with 30g single Sorachie Ace - 60 min boil. I also brewed a pale ale 1046 OG, with a total of 70g Sorachi Ace added at 30min, 15min and 5 min to give 41 IBU. I now have these in Cornies and although quite "green" I am drinking the stout. The bitterness is quite smooth and it does take a little getting used to. After a 1/4 pint has been drunk the beer slips down. I would agree with a lot of the comments above in that the flavour does not live up to its wonderful name. But if you want a hop that is highly unusual then I think it is worth a trial. If I brew with it again I think I would also use crisper bittering hops to compliment the Sorachi Ace used for flavour.

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:54 pm

I tried the 2g of dry hopped Coors lite.

Lots of dill, some coconut, zero lemongrass.

No bueno.

Francois

Post by Francois » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:17 am

Coconut and muted lemon. Bit of an odd one...

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 pm

I was going to be really negative about Sorachi Ace but my pale that was single hopped using it for bitter, flavour and aroma is good. In fact after a half pint it tastes unusually good. I would not go as far as saying it is a great hop but I am enjoying the single hop beer. Will I be using it again - probably not.

The taste to me is a little earthy but maybe we are not ready for this hop. Remember the reaction 30 years ago to the now accepted citrus style hops.

BRB