British hops SMaSH - opinions please

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: British hops SMaSH - opinions please

Post by zgoda » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:54 am

beer gut wrote:What I found with boadicea is good bitterness but in my opinion the flavour/aroma is too bland.
Same as above. Exceptionally tasty bitterness but complete lack of aroma.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: British hops SMaSH - opinions please

Post by Dave S » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:34 pm

I've just started drinking an almost SMASH with 100% Flyer. These are a relatively new English variety and I reckon they are in danger of becoming my first go-to hop - they're bloody lovely. The only thing which stops it being a true SMASH is there is a small amount of Crystal in there.
Best wishes

Dave

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:32 pm

I did two SMaSH flyer brews, 20g at 60 mins and 40g each at 5 mins and Flameout, 100% MO to 1.045. They were great beers, i still have about 400g that were open in the freezer.

I'll be doing them again if they're still OK.

Hudders

Post by Hudders » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

Bought a bottle of Boadicea Ale at the weekend. Little aroma. The bitterness was there but I found the flavour a bit flat and dull. This ties in with comments above.

I'll look out for Epic and Flyer.

I will stick to a single malt for at least one brew if only to educate myself and then, once I've learnt that lesson, maybe add a little crystal for future single hop brews.

Useful comments, thank you.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:I did two SMaSH flyer brews, 20g at 60 mins and 40g each at 5 mins and Flameout, 100% MO to 1.045. They were great beers, i still have about 400g that were open in the freezer.

I'll be doing them again if they're still OK.
I'll definitely be using them again. Not many people stocking them at the moment though for some reason. The Homebrew Shop has them.
Best wishes

Dave

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Still the 2011 crop I see, same as I have/had. I wonder have they been rolled out to full production or not?