Stuck fermentation 1.030

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
jceg316

Stuck fermentation 1.030

Post by jceg316 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello.

I have brewed a clone (or close enough to) Longhammer IPA but the fermentation is stuck at 1.030 for a few days now, close to a week. Yeast is US-05 and temp is 16-18C and has been for the whole fermentation. I've tried gently rocking the FV but still nothing.

What I think this has come from is I was trying a new temp controller on the HLT/boiler. Once the mash was finished I realised it was 10-15C out, so what I thought was 76C water was infact 86C water and I have mashed 10C hotter than I would like. Mashing hotter also brings out less fermentable sugar from the grains and attenuation is lower.

But is there any way to decrease the current SG to below 2.000?

Thanks.

Rick_UK

Re: Stuck fermentation 1.030

Post by Rick_UK » Fri May 15, 2015 7:34 am

Use a yeast enzyme (costs about a quid from local HBS). This will break down most of the remaining unfermentables so the yeast can eat them. It may leave a drier stronger beer with an FG of around 1.005 but at 1.030 I'd be surprised if it got past 1.008. I've done this with a few stuck ferments and its always saved the day!

Rick

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri May 15, 2015 8:02 am

If your fermentation got close to 16 for any length of time it is possible that the yeast shut down, have you tried putting the temp up? If not increase the temp slowly no more than a couple of degrees over 24 hours, then another couple so it gets up to 20. If your mash temp was in the usual range the sparging at high temp would cause less problems than you think. Do you have fermentation temp control?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 pm

orlando wrote:If your fermentation got close to 16 for any length of time it is possible that the yeast shut down, have you tried putting the temp up? If not increase the temp slowly no more than a couple of degrees over 24 hours, then another couple so it gets up to 20. If your mash temp was in the usual range the sparging at high temp would cause less problems than you think. Do you have fermentation temp control?
Think he mashed 10' too high (if I'm reading it right!), so too many unfermentables, which an enzyme will resolve

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat May 16, 2015 6:26 am

Rick_UK wrote:
orlando wrote:If your fermentation got close to 16 for any length of time it is possible that the yeast shut down, have you tried putting the temp up? If not increase the temp slowly no more than a couple of degrees over 24 hours, then another couple so it gets up to 20. If your mash temp was in the usual range the sparging at high temp would cause less problems than you think. Do you have fermentation temp control?
Think he mashed 10' too high (if I'm reading it right!), so too many unfermentables, which an enzyme will resolve

Yep, denatured at those temps and of course permanently, one to chalk up to experience. your solution could help, never tried it myself.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks for your replies. I increased the fermentation temperature, gently rocked the FV but still nothing. I think I'm gonna have to settle for a weak sweet beer. It's been in the plastic FV for a while now and I don't want to leave it in there much longer or I'll get off flavours and this batch will be even worse!

Those yeast enzymes, are they the same as yeast nutrients?

Thanks for your help.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Sat May 23, 2015 1:56 pm

I think they mean this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... WB4i09VhBc its an enzyme that breaks down the non fermentable sugars further like in the mash. I also have never used it.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat May 23, 2015 4:38 pm

What was the recipe?
I'm just here for the beer.

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Sun May 24, 2015 2:10 pm

simon12 wrote:I think they mean this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... WB4i09VhBc its an enzyme that breaks down the non fermentable sugars further like in the mash. I also have never used it.
It's not really "like in the mash". Amylase enzymes in the mash chop large carbohydrate molecules down like a pair of pruning scissors. Dry beer enzyme throws a grenade at them. The results are rarely pretty.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Befuddler wrote:
simon12 wrote:I think they mean this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... WB4i09VhBc its an enzyme that breaks down the non fermentable sugars further like in the mash. I also have never used it.
It's not really "like in the mash". Amylase enzymes in the mash chop large carbohydrate molecules down like a pair of pruning scissors. Dry beer enzyme throws a grenade at them. The results are rarely pretty.
I rarely use things like this as there's usually no need, what's the negative here of using it?

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

jceg316 wrote:
Befuddler wrote:
I rarely use things like this as there's usually no need, what's the negative here of using it?
That enzyme (amyloglucosidase) will break down all the polysaccharides that give beer its body and character, letting the yeast ferment them out. It will generally leave beer tasting like bitter water. It'll be suitable for diabetics, but a lot more suitable for the drain. :lol:
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Wed May 27, 2015 1:15 pm

One option would be to rebrew a much dryer version of the beer and blend the two together.

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 am

Befuddler wrote:
jceg316 wrote:

As per previous post I would wholly disagree with the view that the enzyme leaves an undrinkable beer. I have used it several times and the beer has been great. I have used it in a porter, a belgian and a pale ale and all were very drinkable indeed. A little drier and stronger granted but not totally without body or flavour. Personally I would prefer a beer a little drier than planned than an overly sweet one, but that's just my personal taste and experience.

Rick

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 am

An update on what happened with this beer:

I didn't throw enzymes in as it seems they aren't great for the beer. As it had been in a plastic bucket for too long and I didn't have enough bottles to bottle it, I moved to a glass fermenter for storage until I gather enough.

Other bacteria got in and "fermented" what the yeast couldn't resulting in a really pleasant sour beer. Not at all like the Longhammer IPA I planned granted, but still very quaffable as my dad says.

Going a bit off topic, I wouldn't mind moving away from plastic FVs and getting some stainless steel pots to fetnent in instead, and using my glass carboys when possible.