Whirlpool only hopping?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Whirlpool only hopping?

Post by Cozzyb » Thu May 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Has anyone tried this?
Adding most/all hops at flameout and whirlpool steeping for 30-60 minutes which beersmith shows can give a decent IBU level. So ahas anyone tried this, if so what temperature, time length etc worked best.
Also would there be any side effects to adding no hops until 0 min.

Please note I brew 1 gallon ag brews currently so amount of hops is quite small

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Whirlpool only hopping?

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu May 14, 2015 2:22 pm

You may not hit your IBU targets. Only downside really, and easily rectified with a 60m addition.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu May 14, 2015 2:49 pm

I think the no chill guys do something similar by having a 60min addition then a late addition calculated for the time to cool in the cube.

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Thu May 14, 2015 2:59 pm

Best to add a few grams of hops at the start of the boil, more to control boil-over than anything else. Other than that, go for it. Results can be fantastic.

I just recirculate for 15-20 mins after cutting the heat, then run straight off through a plate chiller to get it cooled fast.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Thu May 14, 2015 3:50 pm

On my first no-chill I did a 60 minute bittering addition then all other hops straight in the cube. Turned out alright but I was a bit disappointed with the flavour/aroma. I've had much better success splitting equally between 5 minutes, flameout steep, cube & dry hop.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat May 16, 2015 9:40 am

Results and particularly the level of IBUs will vary greatly from system to system with whirlpool hopping. You need to keep the hops moving, and the action of that will determine how good your extraction is.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat May 16, 2015 9:44 am

I've been doing late hopping. Basically 8/9g per litre at 5 mins or flame out and then subtracting that from target IBU to get the figure for the bittering addition. Has worked well so far

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 am

I should add though - I keep thinking about adding a whirlpool to my system, and may yet do so.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 am

Goulders wrote:I've been doing late hopping. Basically 8/9g per litre at 5 mins or flame out and then subtracting that from target IBU to get the figure for the bittering addition. Has worked well so far
A number of pro brewers have said that's what they do for hoppy ales - work out the grams per litre of hops you want in your beer from late hops and then top up the IBUs with full boil hops.