Loughran Family Malt from Geterbrewed

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Loughran Family Malt from Geterbrewed

Post by lord groan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 pm

I've seen a few posts about this low price malt so after much delay I decided to try some.
Ordered from Geterbrewed at about midnight on a Monday via their Irish website so I paid in euros which worked out about £16.50 for 25kg crushed pale malt (plus £4.50ish p&p). They phoned Tuesday at about 8:00pm to say there was a problem with my order, we resolved that and they promised delivery on the Friday.
Delivered Friday.
OK so I'd thoroughly recommend Geterbrewed for service.
The malt?
Brewed a stout today, beer engine suggested a starting gravity of 1047. I've seen other posts that say the efficiency is very low, and some that say it is high with this malt, so I was intrigued, anyway after an unforseen delay which pushed the mashing time to 2:15 hrs, after boiling and chilling I ended up with 1046-1048. Vague because my hydrometer is a wine one with quite fine markings, there were still bubbles on the surface and my sight is shonky!
So as far as I can see the malt seems to give just as good efficiency as my usual maris otter.
It just remains to taste the finished brew but it is looking good so far.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Loughran Family Malt from Geterbrewed

Post by sbond10 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Looking good shall have to look up the ie site forgot it might be cheaper in euros

Chicken Dipper

Post by Chicken Dipper » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 am

I had great efficiency and it tastes good, will deffo order again. Great service too. I ordered from the UK version of the site so paid £19.50 plus about a fiver for delivery. Will go Eire next time!

YeastFace Brew Co.

Post by YeastFace Brew Co. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Bought some of this for an Irish Red, thought I'd whack 200g or so (11l batch) extra to cover any difference between this and MO so good to read this.

AdamR

Post by AdamR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 pm

I've had issues with their grain crushing abilities, the first order I placed they replaced no bother with properly crushed grains.
When I ordered a second time and recieved a half arsed crush I emailed them and and was ignored.
In the end I used the grains after whizzing them up in the food processor.
Personally, I wouldn't buy from them ever, no matter what price.

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Mention it on twitter they seem quick to respond on there

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Used twice now and pleased so far. Seems a bit sweeter than Marris if that makes anysense...just a personal observation though
Just like trying new ideas!

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 pm

Just sampled my first bottle of stout using this malt, I varied the recipe slightly so cannot do a direct comparison with last M.O. brew but with only 2 weeks bottle conditioning it's come out very nice indeed. It loses it's head fast ( I left out the oats and torrified wheat I usually add to my stouts) but I tend to find my stouts only begin to keep their head after about 6 weeks conditioning so no surprise there.

So after 1 brew I haven't noticed any differences between maris and the loughran malt. So at about half the price it's the loughran for me. I reserve the right to change my mind if later brews go wrong!)

Looking at other peoples comments regarding efficiency and crush I do wonder if the supplier just had problems getting the right crush size? Would too fine a crush give better efficiency when it works and maybe doughballs and stuck mash issues when it doesn't, while not crushing enough would perhaps trap air in the grain during the mash, preventing proper wetting of the grain and so lowering efficiency?
Just my two-penn'orth

vacant

Post by vacant » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 am

I have a theory, that is mine, that is my theory, that if 25Kg sacks of malt are transported upright, the sieve effect means more flour migrates to the bottom of the sack. Result: worse efficiency at the start, better at the end of a sack.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 am

Having a 6.5kg see thru sack of minch malt I can see your theory and kinda agree. I ended up with minch as it worked out similar priced and better reviews

serum

Post by serum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:58 am

I kept seeing Minch malt mentioned and thought it was someone misspelling munich!

Has anyone else had grain crushing issues with geterbrewed? I was going to try ordering from them because they do castle malts and they sell strisselspalt which nobody else seems to but I don't have a grain mill.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 am

serum wrote:I kept seeing Minch malt mentioned and thought it was someone misspelling munich!

Has anyone else had grain crushing issues with geterbrewed? I was going to try ordering from them because they do castle malts and they sell strisselspalt which nobody else seems to but I don't have a grain mill.

Strisselspalt
Would that be a hop or a grain, as I have the hops

I too have used Minch malt uncrushed, so the crushing is my fault, but I put it down to ununiform grain size.

Also as I use uncrushed grain I don't have the prob of the flour settling during the short transportation :wink: but yes it can be a problem, I think that why they have started to sell 25kg in 5kg x5 bags, albeit you pay abit extra
To Busy To Add,

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 am

No minch is an irish malting company using Sebastian variety of malt it's only distributer is the homebrew company

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:23 am

Wonkydonkey wrote:
serum wrote:I kept seeing Minch malt mentioned and thought it was someone misspelling munich!

Strisselspalt
Would that be a hop or a grain, as I have the hops

I too have used Minch malt uncrushed, so the crushing is my fault, but I put it down to ununiform grain size.

Also as I use uncrushed grain I don't have the prob of the flour settling during the short transportation :wink: but yes it can be a problem, I think that why they have started to sell 25kg in 5kg x5 bags, albeit you pay abit extra
I'm guessing they mean the malt as they have no grain mill

serum

Post by serum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Sorry I've mixed up my topics here.

I was asking about ordering from Geterbrewed because I'd like to buy some of the castle malts and also the strisselspalt hops they do because other sites don't seem to stock either. I wasn't sure whether to do it if they don't crush the grains right.