New to brewing and need advice...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: New to brewing and need advice...

Post by JamesF » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Posted on Saturday evening. Might just have had a busy Sunday and be back dealing with the curse of the drinking classes today.

James

somethingspecial

Post by somethingspecial » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying until now - I moved into a new house this weekend so have had a very busy few days. However, the first thing I did after moving in was dedicate one of my new sheds a 'brewing shed' and buy John Palmer's 'How To Brew' (and read about 100 pages immediately) so I am bang on this.

Thanks for all the advice - it's definitely given me a lot to think about. I was perhaps initially naively thinking that BIAB might be cheating but from reading your replies it seems like a genuine way to keep costs down and ease myself into the brewing process before refining my technique and upgrading my equipment as I go on.

Reckon I might crack on with a couple of BIABs and then maybe get a proper mash tun winter brew on in time for Christmas.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post my first results.

_SomeS

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:52 am

somethingspecial wrote:Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying until now - I moved into a new house this weekend so have had a very busy few days. However, the first thing I did after moving in was dedicate one of my new sheds a 'brewing shed' and buy John Palmer's 'How To Brew' (and read about 100 pages immediately) so I am bang on this.

Thanks for all the advice - it's definitely given me a lot to think about. I was perhaps initially naively thinking that BIAB might be cheating but from reading your replies it seems like a genuine way to keep costs down and ease myself into the brewing process before refining my technique and upgrading my equipment as I go on.

Reckon I might crack on with a couple of BIABs and then maybe get a proper mash tun winter brew on in time for Christmas.

_SomeS
Glad to see you back - I though we'd lost you! :wink:

House moves are stressful - I suggest you have a beer. :=P
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:25 am

I've done over 40 brews with BIAB and a no-chill cube and definitely don't see it as inferior to 3V. I don't even use a bag, just a piece of voile secured with a bungee cord.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 am

I'm not even sure what. It is I do....but it makes beer! Depends where I am, round my flat or round ex's, ibiab mostlywith full volume in a burco, but sometimesi use amash tun, and sometimes whenthe whimtakes me I stovetop with two 15 litre pots. I don't see any particular distinction.....once you have the basiics, you canmix and match....oh and dependant on time I either immersionchill or no chill in a cube!!

Edit excuse syntax....space bar on phone keeps sticking!!
Just like trying new ideas!

somethingspecial

Post by somethingspecial » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 am

[quote="Jim"][quote="somethingspecial"]Hi guys,

_SomeS[/quote]

Glad to see you back - I though we'd lost you! :wink:

House moves are stressful - I suggest you have a beer. :=P[/quote]

Thanks!

I had many a beer this weekend to cope with it all. Beavertown's was my brewery of choice.

Raize
Steady Drinker

Post by Raize » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:11 pm

Personally I think BIAB is ideal for 5 gallon batches as the weight of the grain bag is entirely manageable for even the biggest beers. The main downside is reduced efficiency compared to 3V, but grain is cheap.

One thing I'd point out though: If your tea urn has an exposed element you will need to work out some way of keeping the bag off it or it will burn a hole in your bag.
The other thing about tea urns is that sometimes they are reluctant to maintain a vigourous boil and need the circuitry adjusted. I'd suggest checking whether your tea urn will maintain a vigorous boil with some water before you need to boil beer in it.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Raize wrote:Personally I think BIAB is ideal for 5 gallon batches as the weight of the grain bag is entirely manageable for even the biggest beers. The main downside is reduced efficiency compared to 3V, but grain is cheap.
I'm not convinced this is true - I get good efficiency with BIAB.
Raize wrote:One thing I'd point out though: If your tea urn has an exposed element you will need to work out some way of keeping the bag off it or it will burn a hole in your bag.
Not if you never turn it on when the bag is in. I've never needed to turn the element on with the bag - I keep it warm for the mash by wrapping with a hot water cylinder jacket.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:01 pm

When I've bothered to work the numbers I get upto 75% could be better I suppose. A mashout step helps

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 pm

On my last full brew I got an efficiency into boil of 93% doing BIAB with no mash out.

Raize
Steady Drinker

Post by Raize » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 pm

rpt wrote:On my last full brew I got an efficiency into boil of 93% doing BIAB with no mash out.
That's really good. I get 60-70% using a sack of pre-crushed Maris Otter.
Are you crushing the grains extremely fine to get that efficiency?

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 pm

No. When I remember I ask the Malt Miller to crush finer but on the one occasion I forgot it didn't make any difference.

Bear in mind that my definition of efficiency may not be the same as yours. People talk about efficiency but never define what they mean. I said "efficiency into boil" which is a term used by the BIABacus.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:27 pm

timbo41 wrote:When I've bothered to work the numbers I get upto 75% could be better I suppose. A mashout step helps
75% is perfectly good unless you're one of those types that likes to chase every point of efficiency. The important thing is knowing what your system does, and being able to do that predictably.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Chase the numbers nah not me! If it smells good, tastes good...whether I wanted 5% and it comes out a bit lower( or higher sometimes!!)....then I'm a happy bunny