Alcoferm cherry extract

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Alcoferm cherry extract

Post by brewbrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm planning on converting a batch of decent Tripel into a Kriek version using some cherry juice (30% level) and some Alcoferm cherry extract. I have done some experimenting with th extract and think that 50ml per gallon is about right.

Has anyone else any experience with Alcoferm extracts and beer? Do they affect secondary/conditioning fermentation? What levels do you use?

Cheers,

Brewbrew - Somerset

gnorwebthgimi

Re: Alcoferm cherry extract

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:01 pm

How were you planning on adding the cherry juice and the Alco Ferm?

I was planning on making a cherry beer but was thinking of adding dried sour cherries into the mash tun after the mash had completed.

I am slightly concerned that Cherry juice is likely to have a lower sugar content than wort and may reduce SSG.

I know that many additives get added during bottling/keg stage, but I would be tempted to add at secondary in case the additive ferments.

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to add at secondary and boost it with the Alcoferm stuff - but I'm concerned that the Alcoferm will affect conditioning in bottle (preservatives and/or flavour compounds that are yeast inhibitors). Also cherry juice can contain sulphur dioxide and/or benzoate/sorbate without being declared on packs (food additive regulations make provision for "processing aids" which function in industrial processes to prevent mould and yeast growth - but have no function in finished pateurised/sterilized packed products.

I'm giving it a go anyway - the chance of a Kriek is one I can't resist.

BB

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:41 am

Drool! Watching with interest :-)
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...