Lagering a lager

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Lagering a lager

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:30 am

hi,

I started a czech lager a couple few weeks ago and it is now ready for conditioning\lagering. I was going to move it into a cornie and then keep that in the fridge at 3-4c for 4 weeks or so. Then I would server straight from the cornie.
I was going to add some finings or polycleer to make sure it come out really clear. Should I be adding this now into the cornie or would this have to be done as a separate step and vessel?

thanks,
C

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Re: Lagering a lager

Post by D4nny74 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:10 pm

I usually put finings into the cornie :D

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:37 pm

You don't really need to add finings. After three weeks in primary and a month lagering it should be pretty clear on it's own.
I don't use finings and have never had a lager that didn't come out clear, although I usually lager for two months, or more. I must admit to not owning a corny which could make a difference.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Lagering for weeks and months is not necessary. A couple of weeks is enough with modern methods and temperature control.

Rick

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:10 am

hi all,

thanks for the replies.
I am going to keep it for the 4 weeks just because that is when I will want it to drink - I might sneak a taster before then!
Think I will put the fining in as I have a sachet and do want it to be as clear as possible.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Rick_UK wrote:Lagering for weeks and months is not necessary. A couple of weeks is enough with modern methods and temperature control.

Rick

But that's how I've always done it. :)

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Rookie wrote:
Rick_UK wrote:Lagering for weeks and months is not necessary. A couple of weeks is enough with modern methods and temperature control.

Rick

Got yr own alpine cave and glacier presumably?! :lol:

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Rick_UK wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Rick

Got yr own alpine cave and glacier presumably?! :lol:
No, but I turn my radio on every Saturday looking for Fibber McGee & Molly.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:50 am

Rookie wrote:You don't really need to add finings. After three weeks in primary and a month lagering it should be pretty clear on it's own.
I don't use finings and have never had a lager that didn't come out clear, although I usually lager for two months, or more. I must admit to not owning a corny which could make a difference.
I would think that owning a corny would help - you can finish lagering in the corny and draw off the trub that settles out easily.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.