UK Malt equivalents

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

UK Malt equivalents

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:06 pm

I'm putting together my first brew since moving back to the UK, and I'm just trying to match up some malts from my recipes to what I can buy over here (I have been looking at the maltmiller website with a view to purchasing from there).

The first recipe I want to make calls for Briess Caramel Malt 10L and some Thomas Fawcett Crystal Malt 60L. Obviously these are just the ones I happened to use before I came to the UK, and I assume there are some pretty close local equivalents.
What I *think*, from looking at what's available is that I should go for caramalt to replace the caramel malt (the caramalt is 27EBC, so a little darker than the Briess version I was using) and straight crystal malt to replace the 60l (again, the crystal malt listed is a little darker but not much).

I guess my question is - is the caramel malt just a straightforward light crystal, or is there anything weird about it that I should know about? This particular recipe uses a reasonable chunk of it at about 10% of the grain bill so it will be noticeable.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: UK Malt equivalents

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:15 pm

This might help

http://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

And this gives a pretty good explanation of the difference in names etc with crystal malts

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/i ... amel-malt/

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks - useful links!

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:54 pm

They are indeed +1 to the thanks