Cold crashing help please

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Cold crashing help please

Post by lord groan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 am

Since building my ferm. fridge I've been dropping fermented worts to about 5 or 6c prior to bottling, I bottle by adding 1/2 or 1 tsp sugar to each bottle depending on how fizzy I want things to get.
This autumn I've been fortunate to harvest enough apples and pears to make 2 x 20l batches of cider and 1 of perry. I have now tried 3 bottles of the 1st cider batch and all taste very nice indeed but they are almost completely flat. They are also slightly sweeter than expected, I normally drink only bone dry cider so I really noticed this - FG was 998 so I know it fermented dry.
My question is does the cold crash drop out all the yeast to the point where secondary fermentation doesn't happen?
My first instinct was leaking crown caps but my beers are carbonated OK so I don't think this is the solution
Help

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Cold crashing help please

Post by Dave S » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:13 pm

lord groan wrote:Since building my ferm. fridge I've been dropping fermented worts to about 5 or 6c prior to bottling, I bottle by adding 1/2 or 1 tsp sugar to each bottle depending on how fizzy I want things to get.
This autumn I've been fortunate to harvest enough apples and pears to make 2 x 20l batches of cider and 1 of perry. I have now tried 3 bottles of the 1st cider batch and all taste very nice indeed but they are almost completely flat. They are also slightly sweeter than expected, I normally drink only bone dry cider so I really noticed this - FG was 998 so I know it fermented dry.
My question is does the cold crash drop out all the yeast to the point where secondary fermentation doesn't happen?
My first instinct was leaking crown caps but my beers are carbonated OK so I don't think this is the solution
Help
No, crash cooling should leave enough yeast in suspension to handle the priming sugars. How long did you leave the bottles before opening?
Best wishes

Dave

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:26 pm

After bottling they went in the ferm. fridge at 21c for 3 days then into my bottle store/cupboard in my shed where temp has ranged between about 14 and 20c. I opened the third one last night and that is after about 3-4 weeks in bottle.
I must admit I'm beginning to wonder if I just left the priming sugar out by accident, I've never done it before but i would explain things

mark4newman

Post by mark4newman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi

If the temp is fluctuating, and going to 14C then the yeast will have stopped working.

To check if you added sugar, take a gravity reading of some of the bottled beer. If it is the same when you bottled, and the bottles aren't fizzed, then you forgot it (Or your bottles leak)

Cheers

Mark