beers software recommendation please

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
kloorob
Tippler

Re: beers software recommendation please

Post by kloorob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 pm

I use Beersmith and it is brilliant.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:18 pm

I've been using BS for a few years now - it does the job well. A few things could be better I guess, but that's the same for anything.
One neat trick I only just learned is that all of the Crisp, Thomas Fawcett and Weyermann malts are available under the "add-ons" section - click add-ons (under file menu) and then choose the package you want (grains, profiles, recipes etc). I used it for years without knowing, and plugging in the UK grain details myself..

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Do you use Beersmith on a computer or mobile phone, I cant remember my password for the version on my phone and never really had the need to use it much as not started all grain brewing yet.

But slowly getting bits sorted for the all grain brewing and i was wondering is it better or different if installed on a laptop computer

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:28 pm

BS has too much unnecessary functionality for me, so I basically have BeerEngine on a spreadsheet, just the bits I need.

1. type in target gravity
2. type in percentages of malt used
=> out comes weights of each malt needed and colour.

3. type in each hop and time in kettle, weight is a plug-in to get preferred IBU.

That's it, don't need fermentation schedules and bells and whistles to confuse my little mind.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:41 pm

If you've got an iPhone or iPad the BrewPal app is really good and not overly complicated.

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:18 am

I've used beer Smith for years and very happy with it but recently I did 4 beers using the brewers friend site and I really liked it. Really user friendly... BUT
Found their Ivy calculations almost ten points off from beer Smith. Unfortunately that was 4 competition beers that now don't meet the stats for the style. Gutted.
I've now got some of the least bitter, bitter you're likely to taste.

I've gone back to beer Smith just cause I can rely on it. It gives me predictable results.

Technotrucker

Post by Technotrucker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:40 am

gobuchul wrote:If you order Beersmith from this Aussie website, it's only about £13.
It's very good and well worth it my opinion.
http://brewadelaide.com/retail/index.ph ... cts_id=162

I know it's all down to what floats your boat when it comes to which beer software we like to use.....
I did buy through the Aus site....I did have to email 24 hours later to remind them about the code, but that came back within minutes, and works a treat. I've download a load of updates for the grain/recipes...I'm happy with that.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:56 pm

I use the BIABacus spreadsheet. Although designed for BIAB I believe it's possible to use it for 3V.

marinali29

Post by marinali29 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:47 am

yes,brewmate is cool.

critch

Post by critch » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:49 pm

brewers friend, quite accurate and easy to use.