Confused by first wort hopping

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
sbond10
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3002
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Confused by first wort hopping

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 pm

I understand FWH to be used instead of your normal bittering addition at 90 mins but I'm a little confused reading around suggests it's your aroma hops that are used for this technique. So I'm a little puzzled anyone shed any l8ght or advice on this subject or is it not worth it

User avatar
alix101
Under the Table
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Chester-le-street Durham

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:27 pm

I think this subject confuses even the most scientific of expert brewers.
The hop addition is for aroma you would think that the aroma would be boiled off but I've done comparisons and it works.
The only explenation I've read is that somehow because of the higher PH of the first running the aroma becomes attached to the beer structure and isn't boiled away ....I know it sounds like mumbo jumbo but it certainly works.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

User avatar
6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Here is a rather succinct write up from BYO magazine on the subject.
http://byo.com/mead/item/2958-pre-boil-hopping
Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

sbond10
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3002
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by sbond10 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 pm

That's the article that confused the hell out of me. So if I had a recipe that looks like this

90 mins admiral
15 mins Willamette
0 mins Willamette

How would I adjust this

User avatar
alix101
Under the Table
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Chester-le-street Durham

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Just add the admiral straight to the kettle with your first runnings.leave the other additions where they are.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

sonicated
Hollow Legs
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by sonicated » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Brulosophy tested FWH and it didn't really make any difference http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/06/the-fi ... t-results/

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 pm

sonicated wrote:Brulosophy tested FWH and it didn't really make any difference http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/06/the-fi ... t-results/
All ‘exbeerments’ are fatally flawed, unfortunately.

How did the constipated statistician work it out?

Wortorama

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by Wortorama » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Ermmmm!!! Not saying I don't believe you, necessarily, but would you care to elaborate as to why? The only problem I have with his conclusions is that the sample size is invariably rather small.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by Rookie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:08 pm

McMullan wrote:
sonicated wrote:Brulosophy tested FWH and it didn't really make any difference http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/06/the-fi ... t-results/
All ‘exbeerments’ are fatally flawed, unfortunately.

How did the constipated statistician work it out?
With a sharp pencil.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by Rookie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:10 pm

sbond10 wrote:I understand FWH to be used instead of your normal bittering addition at 90 mins but I'm a little confused reading around suggests it's your aroma hops that are used for this technique. So I'm a little puzzled anyone shed any l8ght or advice on this subject or is it not worth it
It's not used instead of the bittering charge.
I'm just here for the beer.

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Rookie wrote:
McMullan wrote:
sonicated wrote:Brulosophy tested FWH and it didn't really make any difference http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/06/the-fi ... t-results/
All ‘exbeerments’ are fatally flawed, unfortunately.

How did the constipated statistician work it out?
With a sharp pencil.
No, a lolly stick.

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Wortorama wrote:Ermmmm!!! Not saying I don't believe you, necessarily, but would you care to elaborate as to why? The only problem I have with his conclusions is that the sample size is invariably rather small.
How do you know the result of an ‘xbmt’ isn't simply down to random chance? What if they dared to replicate an ‘xbmt’? It’s not acceptable to interpret any result from one test sample. That’s not an experiment. It’s a form of hoodwinking. Are these guys trying to refute brewing scientists, who’ve actually designed experiments? Every time I read ‘brulosophy’ on a home brew forum, I sigh and mutter a string of expletives.

User avatar
Hanglow
Under the Table
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by Hanglow » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 am

All my bittering hops are first wort hops as it helps stop boil overs. There's certainly no lack of bittering or any extra flavour I get from it. ymmv
Planned: Green Hop ale
Fermenting: Nothing
Bottled: Home grown Halletau Mittelfruh golden ale, centennial golden ale, Brown Kolsch, Strong Burton with Brett C

sonicated
Hollow Legs
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by sonicated » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 am

McMullan wrote: How do you know the result of an ‘xbmt’ isn't simply down to random chance?
You don't, it's hardly five sigma but at least someone's willing to give it a go!
McMullan wrote: What if they dared to replicate an ‘xbmt’?
Why don't we all?! :)
McMullan wrote: That’s not an experiment. It’s a form of hoodwinking.
Really? I don't think they are trying to hoodwink, they're just brewing beer and asking for opinions.
McMullan wrote: Every time I read ‘brulosophy’ on a home brew forum, I sigh and mutter a string of expletives.
I just thought some form of experiment on the theory might of been of interest.

User avatar
themadhippy
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:53 am
Location: playing hooky

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by themadhippy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 am

How did the constipated statistician work it out?
with a slide rule
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Post Reply