Confused by first wort hopping

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by Aleman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:42 pm

PhilB wrote:
Aleman wrote:I would probably go with all the bittering addition as FWH, and keep the late addition as it is (Or In my case an 70- 80C steep)
... but I wasn't expecting that, as it's in stark contrast to the approach used in that paper McMullen linked to above :? ... hey-ho, I guess more reading and experimenting for myself is called for :wink:
The traditional FWH approach calls for the flavour addition, say 30 minutes from the end of the boil, to be used for FWH. You don't have any in the recipe you posted, and the last 5 minute addition is pretty much aroma only, and so not worth moving to FWH. You could split the bittering addition, and use part of it for FWH, but as Mittelfruh is a pretty tasty hop all on it's own you may just as well FWH all of it.

Now look at my Bohemian Pilsner Recipe
5 gallon (23L) batch at 1.048 (12º Plato) and 40IBU and assuming a triple decoction mash

4.6Kg Bohemian Floor Malted pilsner malt

50g Czech Saaz - 90 Minutes
38g Czech Saaz - 60 Minutes
13g Czech Saaz - 15 minutes
13g Czech Saaz - Switch Off / 80ºC Steep
What I do here is move both the 60 and 15 minute additions to FWH making it

51g Czech Saaz - First Wort Hops
50g Czech Saaz - 90 Minutes
13g Czech Saaz - Switch Off / 80ºC Steep

If you look at my Bavarian Wheat Beer. Gravity 1.051, 18 Units of Bitterness and fairly pale at 9 EBC for 25L
2950g Wheat Malt
2420g Pale Malt (Or lager malt)

It could be a long slow sparge with that much wheat, so 500g of oat hulls should be added to the mash to aid in the lauter.

18g Tettnang Hops (90 Minutes)
12g Perle Hops (90 Minutes)
10g Tettnang Hops (45 Minutes)
10g Tettnang Hops (15 minutes)
then I move the 45 and 15 minute additions to FWH

20g Tettnang Hops (FWH)
18g Tettnang Hops (90 Minutes)
12g Perle Hops (90 Minutes)
I leave the aroma hops in the pilsner, but it's not so important with a wheat.

I do think it is very much a suck it and see approach, listening to the beersmith podcast Strong pretty much advocates that route.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Re: Confused by first wort hopping

Post by PhilB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Aleman
Aleman wrote:The traditional FWH approach calls for the flavour addition, say 30 minutes from the end of the boil, to be used for FWH. You don't have any in the recipe you posted, and the last 5 minute addition is pretty much aroma only, and so not worth moving to FWH.
... aaahhhh, I see now, the recipe I'd proffered was a "bad example" :?

Thanks for taking the time for digging out those other recipes =D> =D> ... I see the approach you're suggesting now ... and it's always good to see some "tried and trusted" recipes :wink: =D> =D>

Cheers, PhilB