Unboiled wort for starters

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Unboiled wort for starters

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:01 am

Has anyone tried or practice this? I collected 1.5L of unboiled wort from my last batch as I factored this into my batch size. I quickly put this in a sealed freezer container and froze straight away. I plan to defrost and boil ahead of the starter either diluting pre or post boil to allow me collecting 1.040 which Beersmith should help me with.

I have read some US forums about this but was wondering if anyone here does so and has any tips? I had the wort in the freezer as soon as collected and sealed so at 75c this should have been pasturised? How long should I boil this for? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated as if I can get this nailed down there would be no need to buy or in my case run out of DME for starters.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Unboiled wort for starters

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:00 am

I haven't done it yet but I am planning on doing something similar soon. In my case I am going to boil the wort immediately and then put it into 1L jam jars and pressure cook for an hour or so to completely sterilise. The idea is that I will get 5-6 litres of sterile wort that can be stored at room temp and used at a moment's notice for starters.
I don't see anything wrong with your plan but I would definitely boil before use.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:05 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:I haven't done it yet but I am planning on doing something similar soon. In my case I am going to boil the wort immediately and then put it into 1L jam jars and pressure cook for an hour or so to completely sterilise. The idea is that I will get 5-6 litres of sterile wort that can be stored at room temp and used at a moment's notice for starters.
I don't see anything wrong with your plan but I would definitely boil before use.
Thanks Matt, in hindsight I should have done so once I had my batch boiling. I suppose that would negate the need to reboiled on defrosting? I would still look to freeze the batch, probably in 1L containers. I suppose the question is how long to boil for?

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:I haven't done it yet but I am planning on doing something similar soon. In my case I am going to boil the wort immediately and then put it into 1L jam jars and pressure cook for an hour or so to completely sterilise. The idea is that I will get 5-6 litres of sterile wort that can be stored at room temp and used at a moment's notice for starters.

If you're pressure cooking it why would you boil it first?

I've always wanted to do this but never get round to it. I did it once and put it in the freezer but the wort expanded and burst the container. Storing at room temp is a good idea or leave space for expansion.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Good point - I figured maybe it would be nice to lose some hot break material first, but then I probably wouldn't boil long enough for that anyway.
Another thought I had was to perhaps go a bit stronger than 1.040 - maybe 1.060 - so that I could dilute my starter with 50% water. Save a bit on jar space but that would probably need a decent boil, maybe too much hassle.
There are good savings to be made - just 2kg of pale malt will give you 12 litres or so of 1.040 wort.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Yes, I've done this many times. I usually collect a couple of litres of so at 1.040ish in a bowl after sparging. You'll get hot/cold break. I'd definitely pressure cook the wort after pouring off from the break material, to sterilise it after a relatively short boil. Another strategy is to do a real simple brew day making starter wort. It seems to freeze without any problems. Although I've had one or two PET bottles split after being frozen. Add a pinch of yeast nutrient too and you'll have great starter wort 8)

brewnaboinne

Post by brewnaboinne » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:44 pm

I do this all the time. Freeze excess wort in PET bottles allowing room for expansion. Takes a while to defrost then boil for about 10 mins and cool and away you go. Never need to buy DME.

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:04 pm

I always have about 1500ml 'waste' (trub/break) at end of a boil. I put this in a 1500ml container in fridge for day or 2 then decant off about 750ml wort. This is frozen ready for my next starter, then after diluting and/or adding DME to make up required volume and adding some nutrient. I boil for about 15 mins before using just to be sure.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 pm

brewnaboinne wrote:I do this all the time. Freeze excess wort in PET bottles allowing room for expansion. Takes a while to defrost then boil for about 10 mins and cool and away you go. Never need to buy DME.
Me too.
I put wort in 500ml pet bottles. Easy to defrost in a sink of water. Simmer 10mins in a saucepan, leave the lid on, allow to cool, and use.
If the wort is 1040 add 25% water before boiling, to bring down to about 1030 for a starter.
I do this every brew, I only need to keep 2 small bottles in my freezer. I never need DME.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks guys, some great tips here. I suppose my main question remaining is if I am boiling the spare wort (not boiled as part of batch collected from) i.e. 1 or 2 litres worth how long do I do so? Would 15 mins suffice?

Fingar

Post by Fingar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Folks.

Can I ask why the wort needs freezing? Could you keep it in a PET in the fridge?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:49 am

Bugs don’t grow well at minus 20. Even boiled wort contains viable spores. If you sterilise wort, glass jars, etc. (pressure cooker), wort stores well long-term in a fridge. I have more space available in the freezer and a box of PET bottles that aren’t used for anything else.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 am

Rhodesy wrote:Thanks guys, some great tips here. I suppose my main question remaining is if I am boiling the spare wort (not boiled as part of batch collected from) i.e. 1 or 2 litres worth how long do I do so? Would 15 mins suffice?
15-20 min good boil should be fine, mate.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks! Will give it a go soon

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Had an impromptu brewery today and collected 6L approx of runnings from my grain coming in around 1.030 after a 40 minute boil. I split into 3 containers and into the freezer. I'll defrost and have another quick boil at the time and look to build a 4L starter ahead of a lager I am planning when I brew next.