Getting started with my first recipe... *First Tasting*

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
somethingspecial

Re: Getting started with my first recipe... *JOB DONE!*

Post by somethingspecial » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:37 pm

So, I've just taken the lid off the fermenter to check the gravity and was met by a truly gorgeous sight. A gloriously clear, amber nectar - great to see having spent the last two weeks worrying that I had in some way contaminated it. I presume if it was contaminated it would smell quite bad after two weeks rather than smelling wonderfully beery?

There was a green hop scum around the top where some beer had evaporated but I presume that's normal?

The next step is to check the gravity again in two days to make sure fermentation has stopped and then prime and bottle.

The question I have is can salvage my gravity readings considering I [censored] up when measuring the gravity the first time? I mistakenly measured it once pre-boil and got a reading of 1.042. I then tried to measure it inmediately after the boil and melted my cheap trial jar, therefore not getting a post-boil gravity reading. I was then pleased that I had the early reading otherwise I'd have nothing. And I've just measured it now post-fermentation and got a reading of 1.100.

Presuming the FG stays the same by Monday can I use those two readings to get even a rough idea of ABV?

Any help or advice appreciated.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Getting started with my first recipe... *JOB DONE!*

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:17 pm

somethingspecial wrote:So, I've just taken the lid off the fermenter to check the gravity and was met by a truly gorgeous sight. A gloriously clear, amber nectar - great to see having spent the last two weeks worrying that I had in some way contaminated it. I presume if it was contaminated it would smell quite bad after two weeks rather than smelling wonderfully beery?

There was a green hop scum around the top where some beer had evaporated but I presume that's normal?

The next step is to check the gravity again in two days to make sure fermentation has stopped and then prime and bottle.

The question I have is can salvage my gravity readings considering I [censored] up when measuring the gravity the first time? I mistakenly measured it once pre-boil and got a reading of 1.042. I then tried to measure it inmediately after the boil and melted my cheap trial jar, therefore not getting a post-boil gravity reading. I was then pleased that I had the early reading otherwise I'd have nothing. And I've just measured it now post-fermentation and got a reading of 1.100.

Presuming the FG stays the same by Monday can I use those two readings to get even a rough idea of ABV?

Any help or advice appreciated.
First of all I hope you have just typed the FG incorrectly and that you mean it is down to 1.010 not really 1.100. :? Can you salvage your gravity readings? No, not now, so it is worth taking a reading every 24 hours for the next two days to make sure the FG is stable. As far as a rough idea of alcohol around 4.5% wouldn't be far out. Anyway your liver won't know the difference. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Chug

Re: Getting started with my first recipe... *GRAVITY QUESTIO

Post by Chug » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm

If you took a pre boil reading and know the amount then you can work out the post boil gravity using the last two points of the gravity reading, ie 1.042 =42

pre boil gravity x volume = post boil gravity x volume

ie 15L x 42 = 630

630/13 = 48 so would be 1.048

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 am

So far you have mentioned 2 final boil volumes, 16 litres, then 17 litres ending up with 11.4 in the FV, but you report you actually got 13 litres. Which was the final boil volume?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

somethingspecial

Post by somethingspecial » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:45 pm

orlando wrote:So far you have mentioned 2 final boil volumes, 16 litres, then 17 litres ending up with 11.4 in the FV, but you report you actually got 13 litres. Which was the final boil volume?
Apologies for the confusion AND the delayed reply - I got 16l pre-boil and then 13l bottled up.

somethingspecial

Re: Getting started with my first recipe... *Bottling Done!*

Post by somethingspecial » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Got my beer primed and everything bottled up on Bank Holiday and now just the horrible waiting period during conditioning! Argh! I want it!

The beer has cleared considerably in just three days and now all I'm left with is the worry that it won't condition and that it will remain flat...

My plan is to condition for a week and test one. Then maybe experiment with some longer conditioning, some fridge conditioning and make notes on the taste and flavour differences.

Exciting times :D

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:16 pm

s,
Get another Brew on while you are wasting so much time hanging around doing nothing! :D
When you next bottle a Brew, use at least 6 X 330ml bottles for `Tasting`. :D
ie, 2wks warm, 2wks cold, then taste one small bottle, then a week later taste another small bottle, etc.
Works for me. Then all the Beer is gone in two weeks! :D #-o

Looking forward to the pics of your Brew!

WA

Chug

Post by Chug » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:39 pm

By my calcs with 16L pre boil @ 1042 and 13L post boil you were around 1051 / 1052

When bottling fill a PET bottle til near an inch of the top, squeeze it to remove air and beer to top of bottle and screw the lid on, then you can see if the beer is carbing up by how solid the bottle is, I've done one batch split to two brews with different yeasts, one carbed up and bottle was solid in a week the other has had 13 days and is still not really solid.

somethingspecial

Post by somethingspecial » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:40 am

Image[/url]
Last edited by somethingspecial on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 am

Bet you're pleased it's done.

Have you used any finings? If not you should consider getting some gelatine, it is really good stuff and will give you a head start in clearing the beer and reduce the amount of sediment in the bottle. You can fine directly in to the FV before bottling. Don't worry when you see crystal clear beer going into the bottles, there will be plenty of yeast left to carbonate. If you are sceptical find a bottle conditioned beer from a major brewery and see ho thin that layer is.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

serum

Post by serum » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Well done on a first AG brew. It's always a stress but it gets much easier!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 pm

orlando wrote:Bet you're pleased it's done.

Have you used any finings? If not you should consider getting some gelatine, it is really good stuff and will give you a head start in clearing the beer and reduce the amount of sediment in the bottle. You can fine directly in to the FV before bottling. Don't worry when you see crystal clear beer going into the bottles, there will be plenty of yeast left to carbonate. If you are sceptical find a bottle conditioned beer from a major brewery and see ho thin that layer is.
Does this get rid of the snotty sediment issue i have heard of if using gelatine and bottle conditioning?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 pm

f00b4r wrote:

Does this get rid of the snotty sediment issue i have heard of if using gelatine and bottle conditioning?
It reduces it, significantly in many cases. Actually, I just cold crash the beer at the end of fermentation, and put Irish moss in the boil, does enough for me. Gelatine speeds it up, but many people choose not to use it either to keep dead animal out of their beer or to avoid a reduction in hop flavour.

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:46 am

f00b4r wrote:

Never experienced that but it certainly reduces the number of beers spoiled by sediment clouding an otherwise perfect looking beer.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:24 am

f00b4r wrote:

As a regular gelatine user I see a minimal reduction in sediment. Sediment is reduced much more by careful racking of beer from your fermenter to bottling bucket.

The main difference gelatin provides is clearing the beer to a really sparkling level, but it's not something I'd worry about doing in my first half dozen brews, and you need a fridge to get the beer cold enough for it to really make a difference.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.