RIS Attenuation

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
IPA
Under the Table

Re: RIS Attenuation

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:22 pm

McMullan wrote:
IPA wrote:McMullen said.
IPA, did you use any yeast nutrient for that amazing stout?
No just a starter of 1.040 gravity
'IPA's 666' it is then :D
It's a double "Diable" :D
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:34 pm

IPA wrote:
It's a double "Diable" :D
It's the antithesis of the the Grail, sought by Brewers for generations searching for something that ferments out the big dark one. Now available at your local BrewLabs stockist. Terms and methodology apply :twisted:

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:46 pm

IPA wrote:Hi Wally
The OG was 1.098

If you contact Brewlab in Sunderland UK and quote their reference J1 I am sure that they will sell you a slant.

Cheers
Ian
Thanks Ian, that's massive attenuation.

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sat May 07, 2016 4:38 pm

I grabbed a few of these, thanks Ian.

It's stout season now "down under". I'll let you know how I go.

Really looking forward to using this yeast.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue May 10, 2016 7:58 am

wally wrote:I grabbed a few of these, thanks Ian.

It's stout season now "down under". I'll let you know how I go.

Really looking forward to using this yeast.
I am sure you wont be disappointed. Here is a brief history of how it arrived at Brewlab. I bought several bottles of Russian Stout in a pub near Brands Hatch racing circuit in about 1985. Moved to Southampton 1990. Moved to France 2000. Revived yeast in the last remaining bottle here in France in 2014. Sent sample to Brewlab 2015. Now it has arrived Down Under!
If you are interested I can tell you how to save yeast very simply. Exactly how I did it with this yeast.

Good luck
IPA

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

IPA wrote:You should have used this yeast.

Its one that I recovered from a thirty five year old bottle of Courage Russian Stout. It doesn't stop eating until it gets down to 1.014 :!: It is now available commercially.

Alone we travel faster

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 pm

IPA wrote:

Its one that I recovered from a thirty five year old bottle of Courage Russian Stout. It doesn't stop eating until it gets down to 1.014 :!: It is now available commercially.
Put out by who? And under what number or name?
I'm just here for the beer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:59 am

Rookie wrote:
IPA wrote:

Put out by who? And under what number or name?
It's available from Brewlab and I'm certain that the reference is J1. Ask Alison for Ian's (France) Courage Russian Stout yeast

Alone we travel faster

goodolpete
Steady Drinker

Post by goodolpete » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:28 pm

"If you are interested I can tell you how to save yeast very simply. Exactly how I did it with this yeast."

I would be interested.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:39 pm

I would have thought that saving a yeast after it has done a mega beer like that is not really recommended as the yeast has being knackered after such a brew :?:
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 pm

john luc wrote:I would have thought that saving a yeast after it has done a mega beer like that is not really recommended as the yeast has being knackered after such a brew :?:
Hello john luc,
The yeast was from a 35yr old bottle of Stout.
Please keep up! :D

WA

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 pm

IPA wrote:
Rookie wrote: Put out by who? And under what number or name?
It's available from Brewlab and I'm certain that the reference is J1. Ask Alison for Ian's (France) Courage Russian Stout yeast
I plan to do a RIS later in the year and this looks like it would be a good yeast except my LHBS doesn't stock Brewlab and I'm not sure where to get it.
I'm just here for the beer.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:13 am

Ask Brewlab direct and they may mail it to you

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 am

Rookie wrote:
IPA wrote:
Rookie wrote: Put out by who? And under what number or name?
I plan to do a RIS later in the year and this looks like it would be a good yeast except my LHBS doesn't stock Brewlab and I'm not sure where to get it.
Email Alison Hedley at Brewlab. They send slants worldwide.

alison@brewlab.co.uk

Alone we travel faster

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:57 am

goodolpete wrote:"If you are interested I can tell you how to save yeast very simply. Exactly how I did it with this yeast."

I would be interested.
ote="Ian"]I have posted my method of re-using yeast before but this time I have added photos to make it clearer.

36 Hours into the ferment I clear a space in the krausen and remove 500 ml to a sanitised plastic bottle.
I loosely fit the cap and let fermentation proceed normaly. when fermentation has halted I tighten the cap and store it in the fridge.
As you can see there is a nice clean deposit of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. The reason I leave it 36 hours before removing the fermenting beer is that I find you get a much cleaner yeast deposit.
When want to make my next starter I pour most of the beer into a glass for quality control purposes to make sure this is no infection. That is to say I drink it :lol:
I then swirl the remaining beer to dislodge the yeast and added it to my starter flask. 12 hours later it looks like this.
I have successfully re-used the same yeast for more than 18 months and more than 12 brews using this method.[/quote]

The only thing that I do differently now is that I use a large plastic syringe to remove the fermenting wort from below the krausen.

Alone we travel faster