Do I need a 2 step mash for Leffe Blonde

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
nigebeer

Do I need a 2 step mash for Leffe Blonde

Post by nigebeer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:40 am

Hi,

I am brewing a leffe blond recipe tomorrow based on "Revvys" from the malt miller, which contains:-
4.5kg of Dingemans Pilsen Malt
450gms of Munich Malt
150gms of Dingemans Biscuit Malt
100gms of Weyermann Melanoidin Malt

The recipe calls for a mash of 70deg C, but should this be a 2-step/stage mash?

Thanks

Stanna
Steady Drinker

Re: Do I need a 2 step mash for Leffe Blonde

Post by Stanna » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Can't answer your question but let us now how it turns out, was thinking of trying that one myself, it's one of a few from the malt Miller that has some instructions about how to go about making the kit, that place does my head in some of the kits don't even tell you the amount a kit makes let alone anything else ](*,)

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:28 pm

A single infusion mash will work perfectly well with that grist.

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank you for confirming mr dripping!!

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 pm

A single infusion anywhere from 66-70 should make a good Belgian blonde there, though it's nice to keep some sweetness/unfermentables in with the higher number sometimes. Leffe is not the driest in the world, after all.

It's the yeast that will 'make' that brew. What are you going for? I'd use WLP550 in that. Abbey strains are highly attenuative, so a higher mash with a prompt boil after the sparge, should help leave some body, which will be further aided by high priming/carbonation of the final beer. Hope it goes well.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:07 am

Hi,
Thanks for information, I will be mashing at 69degC , and using Wlp 530 Abbey.
Will let you know how it turns out.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Multi-step mashes are almost never necessary with today's well modified malts. Possible exceptions are when using high percentages of wheat, where a protein rest may be desirable.
Best wishes

Dave

serum

Post by serum » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:35 pm

I'd say try mashing at about 67. All the books I've read suggest mashing at 64 for Belgian beers but I find the attenuation goes too far when I do that. Use a blow off tube with that yeast and make a starter. It's pretty explosive once it gets going and will clog the airlock.

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 pm

I find my mash temperature needs to be adjusted significantly outside the usually specified range to affect the final gravity. I think this is down to thermometer readings being a bit off. The big Belgian I did came in with a bit too much body, my approach will be to replace malt with brewers candy.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Looking at the leffe blonde for a biab brew. A quick search gives a yeast choice of safbrew t-58, wlp500, yeast 3942 (substituted by wlp400), safale s-04 and wlp530. Primary malts range from Pilsen to 2-row (let's say optic/maris) which of course explains the range of yeasts. At least the hops stay in the expected range - saaz/styrian/tettnanger. All sorts of add-ins though - coriander being the most interesting. One interesting comment about candi sugar - some of which I still have from a cooking day last year. The comment being the monks were hardly likely to ponce about creating something 'special' when basic sugar would be available - fair point I think.

What combination - aiming at a leffe type, has anyone actually done?

Zver
Tippler

Post by Zver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am

Tried Castle Malt's and Revvy's recipes. The second one quite similar with original Leffe Blonde, but should be fermented at the middle of the yeast recomended yeast range.

My next trial - with aromatic malt, raw barley and 1762 yeast - in the bottles now.