Reducing carbonation of bottles

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Reducing carbonation of bottles

Post by Jocky » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Short version: My last two brews have been considerably over carbonated in the bottle, and I'm wondering if there's a way to relieve the pressure in some bottles? I'm thinking all I can do is crack the crown cap a tiny bit, relieve pressure very slowly and then recap with a fresh crown cap?

Longer version: With my second to last batch I was experimenting with priming rates - aiming for 3.5 volumes in a saison. Spritzy certainly, but only a bit more than the 3 volumes I did a previous batch with. After 10 days the beer was leaping out of the bottle.

Last night I opened my most recent beer - an APA. It had carbed up quicker than I expected, but now after 3.5 weeks in the bottle it's a little excitable, and I've not had that before in 30 batches of beer. Huh.

One instance can be excused as an anomaly, but two in a row is either extreme cooincidence or something is not right. I immediately got thinking and realised a bit later that my kitchen scales have been playing up recently and under-reading significantly. That would explain things - I've added more priming sugar than I thought and now I have very well primed beers.

Anything I can do?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

critch

Re: Reducing carbonation of bottles

Post by critch » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:40 pm

chill the bottles down and then carefully recap, I had to do this with over 1000 bottles once.... I wasn't popular with the lad who had to do it.... :twisted:

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Presumably doing this you have to estimate how long to leave them uncapped. Even if you could get them near freezing saturation of CO2 in beer at 1 degC is only 1.67 volumes so if you left them uncapped until they lost supersaturation you'ld have fairly flat beer unless you re-primed.

One thing I did find early on in my brewing journey when opening a gusher is not to put your finger over the top to try and stop it escaping. Turns a beer fountain into a recreation of a formula 1 podium ceremony all over the kitchen ceiling.... The kitchen floor got soaked anyway- the beer just hit the ceiling first before falling onto the floor (and me).....

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Gonna give it a go and see what happens.

I only want to get two bottles right so they can go to a competition without covering every judge in saison as I'd imagine I'd get marked down a bit for that.

Otherwise I'll have to rebrew, which will leave me with a very large stock of saison and potentially pouring some of the overcarbed batch away.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Put a penny on top when you crack it open, it won't deform the top of the cap then you can easily reseal it with a capper

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi Jocky

If you're careful with the bottle opener then you can (gently) prise the cap up to release some pressure (when I've done this, even though the bottles had been chilled right down, the beer immediately started foaming in the neck, but then before the froth gets to the cap) then you can release the pressure on the opener and the cap will reseal itself :? ... but have a capper to hand to really put the cap back on firmly, just in case :wink: ... give it a few hours back in the cold and repeat the process. I found doing this around 4 times got me a beer with just the right amount of carbonation :wink:

I wouldn't like to do that on an industrial scale like critch's lad, though :roll:

Cheers, PhilB

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:55 am

Hanglow wrote:Put a penny on top when you crack it open, it won't deform the top of the cap then you can easily reseal it with a capper
That. Is. Genius.

Now to try it!

Love this forum.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:36 am

Hanglow wrote:Put a penny on top when you crack it open, it won't deform the top of the cap then you can easily reseal it with a capper
Nice tip right there!