Digital scales

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Digital scales

Post by Touchstone » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:32 am

I have a problem with digital scales , when weighing multple hop amounts I never end up with enough for the last amount

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Digital scales

Post by vacant » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:34 am

:-k
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Do you weight all the hops at the beginning, just to verify the total amount?
If you do, and its a scales issue, then I can recommend these ones. They seem incredibly accurate (I have a 100g calibration weight, which is always bang on), and they are dirt cheap. The only issue I have had with them is that they do not automatically switch off, and I have accidentally turned them on by closing the lid a couple of times and come back to a dead battery..

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:Do you weight all the hops at the beginning, just to verify the total amount?
If you do, and its a scales issue, then I can recommend these ones. They seem incredibly accurate (I have a 100g calibration weight, which is always bang on), and they are dirt cheap. The only issue I have had with them is that they do not automatically switch off, and I have accidentally turned them on by closing the lid a couple of times and come back to a dead battery..
I wonder if that is more or less annoying than the ones that switch themselves off before you've finished weighing.
Best wishes

Dave

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Dave S wrote: I wonder if that is more or less annoying than the ones that switch themselves off before you've finished weighing.
My kitchen ones do that, so I get the best of both worlds :)

Doingatun
Piss Artist

Post by Doingatun » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Dave S wrote:
I wonder if that is more or less annoying than the ones that switch themselves off before you've finished weighing.
Mine do that, don't give you any time...a real pain :evil:
2016 10 Brews 422 Pints
2015 11 Brews 464 Pints
Total Brews 2006-to-date 149 = 6293 Pints

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Mine always seem to turn off before I want them to. I've got two scales as well and they're both as bad as each other. REALLY REALLY annoying.

If I could find some that do NOT automatically turn off, and will weigh up to 5Kgs, then I'd buy at a reasonable price.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:54 pm

I have these, which resolve to a hundredth of a gramme, and seem damn accurate in my tests with coins, which at least confirms they're accurate to half a gramme. More than enough for hops! I bought them for tiny salt additions, but now use them for hops too. Amazing value. I even got given a fake pound coin, which was rejected by a parking meter. These showed it to be about 0.1g lighter than it should be, so I'm well happy with them. I'd get at least the 200g set, so you can tare/reset the weight of a plastic container before adding hops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252071227650? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Got mine from Aldi during one of those weekly specials for next to nowt, about 5 years ago. Still going strong and more accurate than I'll ever need of them. I mean, does it really matter if the hops are out by half a gramme??

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Capped wrote:Got mine from Aldi during one of those weekly specials for next to nowt, about 5 years ago. Still going strong and more accurate than I'll ever need of them. I mean, does it really matter if the hops are out by half a gramme??
Hops, not so much, but useful for mineral additions where you could be talking about a gram or two.

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:53 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:
Capped wrote:Got mine from Aldi during one of those weekly specials for next to nowt, about 5 years ago. Still going strong and more accurate than I'll ever need of them. I mean, does it really matter if the hops are out by half a gramme??
Hops, not so much, but useful for mineral additions where you could be talking about a gram or two.
Good point!! I'm still in the dark ages on that and rely on increments of spoonfuls!

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 am

Aldi Digital kitchen scales for malt and hops (0-3000g in 1g increments) and a set of drug-dealer "jewellers" scales for salts (100g on 0.01g increments) - ordered for a lovely chinese gent on ebay :)

For large malt bills, I may have to weigh out two quantities of malt, but it's hardly a trial.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 am

I use a set of digital kitchen scales (accurate to 1g) for hops and malt, and digital jewellers scales for salts. Got the kitchen scales from Dunelm Mill, and the jewellers scales from Amazon.