'Craft Brewing'????

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: 'Craft Brewing'????

Post by Dennis King » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Marketing, call it a craft beer and add a few, or several in London, pence to the pint.

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm

In my mind it means that the production of it is controlled by people who care about what they are doing, doing it because they enjoy it and do it because they want to make the best beer they can, or at least to make the beer that they like. or at least that this was true originally and the output is maintaining that tradition, as with older, more traditional breweries.

This is as opposed to something which it churned out based on marketing and volume. For this reason I wouldn't consider, for example, Camden brewery to be craft beer, even prior to their buyout. Marketing isn't enough to make it craft beer, it's about the people and the process by which they arrive at their product.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of the term- and use it SPARINGLY. I'd rather be just call it beer, or good beer. At the end of the day, regardless of the process, the end result is beer. The differences after that are perceptual.

millmaster

Post by millmaster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 pm

A couple of people here define the term craft beer/brewing as I would like to think how it should be "...production of it is controlled by people who care about what they are doing, doing it because they enjoy it and do it because they want to make the best beer they can..."

Or, with the rose tinted specs off, in my cynical mind how the marketing people want you to react when you see the term

Others define it in the devalued state it is - meaningless - ( and I'm with them in that )

The term Real Ale, as defined by CAMRA, whilst not a guarantee that the beer is any good, at least can reasonably be expected to tell you something about the beer, craft beer tells you nothing, nowadays, except perhaps that the price has been jacked up

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 am

Real Ale is joke 2, yes it tells you how it as stored and dispensed but so what?

I don't care it, doesn't matter, I don't drink the cellar equipment I drink beer !

CAMRA really need to get their thumbs out of their collective bums and get to the point " In Glass Quality".

The beer in the glass is what its all about not the delivery system.

Aamcle

bacchus173

Post by bacchus173 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 am

Its a con...a marketing tool used by manufacturers to extract even more coin from your pocket...for exactly the same thing...they add `Crafted` or `Craft made`..etc. and then charge you an extra quid for the privilege. And in my experience the ale inside invariably is sub-standard.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:59 am

On this subject there was a BC comic this morning:
crbc160804.jpg

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 pm

I think it's cobblers.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Capped wrote:I think it's cobblers.
BrewDog did well enough out of it :lol:

I'll agree to the sentiment that the phrase these days is meaningless. At the start of the real ale revolution, it did mean something - but the money men at the big names took the hint and used it to market mass produced cr*p. After all - they imply that "craft" is involved in the making of Bud...... :roll:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:12 am

bacchus173 wrote:Its a con...a marketing tool used by manufacturers to extract even more coin from your pocket...for exactly the same thing...they add `Crafted` or `Craft made`..etc. and then charge you an extra quid for the privilege. And in my experience the ale inside invariably is sub-standard.
Any examples? Genuine question

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:09 am

Padalac wrote:
bacchus173 wrote:Its a con...a marketing tool used by manufacturers to extract even more coin from your pocket...for exactly the same thing...they add `Crafted` or `Craft made`..etc. and then charge you an extra quid for the privilege. And in my experience the ale inside invariably is sub-standard.
Any examples? Genuine question

Doom Bar. Bought in the drinks aisle, £1.49 - same thing in cookery aisle, labeled "Tescos Value Gravy Browning" is 29p..... :lol:
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Haha, ya well. Doom bar is more 'real ale' than craft beer. It isn't even marketed as craft beer, and as a concept, really predates craft beer. So....

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:30 am

In more serious nature, a quick look at the beer aisle of supermarkets right now will reveal a whole swathe of heavily marketed, colourfully decorated "craft" ales and lagers - the trend seems to be to sell them in 330ml cans at the moment - some of which i've tried on a whim and found them just as disappointing as the forementioned Cornish churn wash; I cant even give you the names as they were purchased as single cans for curiosity and dismissed within the first few sips as another low quality ale oft badly disguised with chemical-weapon doses of nasty american citrus hops.

I'd also guess the "brewery" dissapeared as soon as the production run was complete.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:58 am

All too often

Craft Beer = Chew a Hop Bline.

Aamcle

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:22 am

Bumping this thread due to a very interesting contribution from Boak and Bailey, and following the news that SIBA are trying to start a certification scheme for 'craft' breweries:

http://boakandbailey.com/2016/08/siba-s ... raft-beer/

http://www.indiecraftbrewers.co.uk/
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:10 am

It will be interesting to see how that goes. Even if the craft horse has not already escaped, it looks like marketing interests are at the reins - which may or may not coincide well with the requirements of beer enthusiasts.

It has the potential to be beneficial, I just hope that they avoid applying restrictions/rules for compliance like a blunt instrument, stifling innovation and overlooking niche requirements, whilst ultimately still doing very little to guarantee the actual quality of beer being served.
Kev