A tale of three ales...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dshar
Steady Drinker

A tale of three ales...

Post by dshar » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 pm

So ive been trying to get better heads in my beers for a while but i dont think im getting anywhere fast!

1 hobgoblinn clone. Mo, crystal, choc 67c mash
2 dead donkey mo crystal flaked barley, 63c mash
3golden ale mo, malt and flaked wheat

From the three, the hobgoblin had the best and a reasonable head, but nothing amazing. The other two were flat as a pancake. I think they were all primed the same, ~5g per litre from memory.im surprised since i thought the flaked wheat and barley in the other two would have made them better?

Im not a v technical brewer, but i suspect it might have smthg to do with protien rests? I dont know my water profile either (london)

Any thoughts, comments would be great

Cheers

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: A tale of three ales...

Post by Jocky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Did you have carbonation? Or was the problem just that the beer was fizzy, but it didn't last?

5g/l should be fine to carbonate beer to a moderate level - just over 2 volumes.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:50 pm

What was the maximum temperature the beer had reached before priming? IE what was its residual carbonation? How quickly after priming did you bottle?

As much as I've had problems with my brewing a good head has never been one.
Also how are you pouring? I go for the centre-glass-beginning, slide-down-the-edges-ending style ending and head isn't an issue...

dshar
Steady Drinker

Post by dshar » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Carbonation was fine, enough fizz, but it just didnt last/form a head.
I fermented at 19c, cold crashed and primed, bottled straight away...

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:00 am

I really struggle with this too. In fact I find getting the carbonation right can be hit and miss but even if I do it's rare that I get a decent head on the beer. Despite flaked wheat/wheat malt being recommended for head retention, I find that the best heads are often on stouts or strong dark beers with no wheat content.

Russell

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 pm

There are foam positive and foam negatives that can affect a beers head retention. Crystal malts and wheat, torrified wheat in particular can impart these qualities, just be careful how much torry you use as it can impact flavour, 1 or 2% I ok. Higher mash temps produce more body, one reason why Stouts always appear so good. Make sure you settle out trub so always use kettle finings. Something that isn't well known is the effect of Alpha Acids, try using high AA hops at the start of your boil. Be careful of over using ingredients with a high lipid content as any type of fat is going to impact the formation of head or destroy it if introduced latterly, so scrupulously clean glasses and not using lipstick when you're drinking from them :wink: , eating crisps and nuts have a similar effect. Finally carbonation is also important, one of the main reasons commercially bottled beers are so fizzy, the marketeers know we like the look of it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Although I have no actual scientific evidence of this, I believe that it may be due to the composition of your water. Hard water does not lather as easily as soft water when using soap. I suspect that it may therefore affect head retention in a similar way. I could of course be talking nonsense.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Altonrea Homebrew

dshar
Steady Drinker

Post by dshar » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, ive been offline for a few days an just picked them up.

I'll go for higher carbonation next time, but im pretty sure the fizz isn't the problem, more retaining it...

Interesting point about high a acids, will try that too.

I mashed a stout (with roast + malt barley) at a high temp and this was probably the worst head I had!!!??
My suspicion is that this is something to do with the water profile, hard water as mentioned or smthg like that. Will look into it with thames water and maybe a test kit...

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 pm

I find torrified wheat and carapils really help head retention.

IMO Carapils in a small quantity imparts little or no flavour. I'm sure others will disagree.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:54 pm

How long do you leave the beer in the bottle?. When I began brewing I too found it almost impossible to get a good head, after advice here I began adding oats to my mash and then letting the beer condition for at least 6 weeks. Whichever it was I now get a decent creamy long lasting head on the beer. I have never treated my water, here in Hants the water is very hard. Hth